Engine Valves not Rotating

Thanx for the followup, Paul.

...I needed to use some Autosol polish on a cloth wrapped around a pencil to clean the residues out of the guides...

Good tip: Clean the guides.
I can see how microgrit in the valve guides could create micro guides, making the valve stem to guide bore fitment act like splines, inhibiting rotation.

Could also be done with rifle bore brushes, in 30 cal - 8mm.
Use only the brass/bronze, nylon, and cotton mops.
BoreBrush.jpg

Last edited:
On the other hand, a lot of folks have been running elephants foot adjusters, for extended periods, with no ill effects...

FYI, I have been running elephant feet for many many miles. I have my engine apart now and can tell you that the valves rotate just fine. The tip of every valve stem is worn symmetrically with a slightly concave shape. I'm currently in the process of removing this using a diamond grit knife sharpening hand stone.

I did expect the Elephant Foot to give valve rotation. The reason being that the rockers are designed to strike the valve stem slightly off center. I am pleased to see that dps650rider has confirmed good rotation from the Elephants Foot.

Has anyone experienced success with the flat ball valve lash adjusters that are recommended for XT500 and TT500?? They are easily fitted without rocker modification.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224081708598?hash=item342c4f8636:g:sEQAAOSwYxBaKxW9

...Has anyone experienced success with the flat ball valve lash adjusters that are recommended for XT500 and TT500?? They are easily fitted without rocker modification.

Hey, Paul. Got about 4.5 years on my Kedo adjusters now.
Along with the high volume oil pump, the top end is pretty quiet.
Dunno if the valves are rotating...

Along with the high volume oil pump, the top end is pretty quiet.

I ended up going back to a stock oil pump on mine. I started noticing some clattering when I first started it up, on inspecting the oil pump I saw that there was a lot of wear in the shaft/housing making for a lot of play.

Back