engine won't turn over...can I have to much compression?

I'm trying to learn as I go, using this forum and my manual. I adjusted everything according to my manual and according to write ups I found online. I am a carpenter by trade and decided I would try and learn something outside my comforts zone. For $500 I don't really care if I something goes wrong. This is just a hobby. The question about the exhaust valve was more for confirmation that I didnt do it ass backwards.

For $500 I don't really care if I something goes wrong.

That won't get it. It's like saying for $500 I don't care if I build this house crooked, and expecting a straight house. We have more consideration for these than we do our wives and family (I suspect), which is the only reason they run... Or at least we are perfectionists who by nature can't stand to do anything wrongly.

Or in other words it takes more than nonchalance to pull it off. You can learn it. It's an attitude. It's a way of life. It's a..a...you get the idea...

It isn't a matter of being or not being a perfectionist. I am trying to learn. I really don't know how else to put this. I have built houses and built them nothing short of perfect. My current occupation requires me to be as near to perfect as I can be. When I bring up the money spent, it is regards to not spending thousands of dollars on an engine just to blow it up. I don't know many do-it yourselfers who would choose a Ferrari as their first crack at mechanical work in their back yard.
The elitist attitude is amazing to me, everybody has to start at some point, this is my starting point, all I am asking for is guidance and people to share their experiences with me. I don't think that is to much to ask.

I despise the elitist attitude myself. But this has to be taken as seriously as anything else. For $500 I don't care simply won't get it. We're happy to try and help you, but you have to care :)

I do care, which is why I have tried every suggestion that has been posted to try to help me. I am constantly trying to look up possible causes to what's wrong. Reading and re-reading posts and articles. Working out of a tin shed in the sun just trying to get this thing to run. It isnt a matter or not caring, it is a matter of experience.

I going to try some starting fluid through the carbs now to see if it does anything. Hopefully my next post isn't arguing but progress.
Thanks again for all the previous help I have received.

Ok, where are you at this point? Are you running? Still hard to turn over? Hard with exhaust and filters off or does that change it?

So, I am going to start at the beginning so I can try to refresh my own memory and maybe there is a step in here I forgot that would make sense to you guys.

Bought the bike last year, it ran but a little on the rough side. Sat for the winter covered in my shed but seafoam in it over the winter kept the battery inside on a trickle charger but aside from that, probably didn't store it properly.
This spring it started right up, but new gas in it and it dumped out the carbs. Decided to replace the old carbs with the kit from mike along with straight pipes, also from mikes. Put the new carbs and exhaust on, and it seemed to misfire from one cylinder. Almost like it would take a couple seconds to get the right mix to fire...delayed I guess. Then it started running rougher and rougher and dying and eventually wouldn't start at all. This is when I looked at the cam chain tensioner and the valve clearances. Adjust and readjusted following the manual and this post.
http://www.650central.com/fsetting_the_valves_on_an_xs650.htm

Now, the part that I don't understand is yesterday I took the carb bodies off the bike completely and rotated the engine a couple of times with a ratchet I was just desperate for solutions and somebody mentioned vapor lock, thought that maybe with all the ports open and letting the engine rotate a couple of times it would help. Left it as it was and went to the gym for a couple of hours. Came back and put the carb bodies back on and took the plugs out to check if I was getting a spark and I freely gapped the plug with a screwdriver to see the spark better. Checked the other side the same way but like a tard, but the plug back in the engine and tried to start it. It started and stumbled and died. So, i opened the other plug the same way and it started. At this point it had no air filters and no exhaust on it. I buttoned it all back up, exhaust and pods and tried and it was right back to the same issue as before.

Today, I took the pods off, opened the throttle and sprayed starting fluid in it, it will pop but that's it. Took the carb bodies off and sprayed starter fluid into it and same thing. Took the breather assembly off and tried the fluid and it actually sounded like it got a couple revolutions, not just a big bang.

Now, it is making an odd gurgling sound when kicking it, the starter still doesn't want to turn it over with a fully charged, new battery.
I bought some new premium gas and I am going to try to make some kind of temporary fuel bottle so I can control the quality of the gas and be able to check easier if it is getting gas.

So, the last couple of weeks, I have taken the pods off, thought maybe it was to restricted. The kicker was harder than usual, so I don't know why, but I thought I would take the exhaust off. The starter sounded like it was struggling, so I put the battery on a trickle charger for 2 days and no change. Bought an AGM battery from mikes, no change.

Sorry for the long ass post, and thanks again for helping me out. I do appreciate it.

The carbs you're using if they're Mike's "peformance carbs" are notorious for being difficult. See the numerous threads on them. Changing to new exhaust at the same time doesn't help anything. You need to set the plug gap properly within the range that's given in the manual. A screwdriver might work with a lawn mower. Seems like it does...

If it was me, I'd put the original carbs and pipes back on, and when it's running pretty good, then maybe add the carbs and exhaust, one at a time. Except maybe I wouldn't use those carbs. The guy here who likes tweaking carbs the best wrote he's glad he didn't buy a set of those.

Somebody might be confusing vapor lock with hydraulic lock. If your cylinders were full of gas it would prevent it from turning over because liquid won't compress. That would be hydraulic lock. Vapor lock is something that happens in a gas line that keeps gas from flowing. Not sure what exactly, but that's what it is. That's not a problem here.

Last edited:
Bittersweet moment of the day.
I spent 2 hours trying to find all the old parts to my carbs and finally managed to pull everything together. Bolted it all back together and using my homemade-temporary gas/funnel can device added about 1/2 litre of gas. That's when it started to piss out the pilot and main jet of the left carb.
Still couldn't get the starter to turn it over....but 2 kicks and it was running. Exhaust is still off at this point. Let it run a little more and added some more gas to it to pin point the leak and of course it didn't leak that time. I am having to call it a day but the bike is at the very least running which is the sweet part...$300 brand new carbs not working worth a shit is the bitter part.

I am going into work tomorrow and will be there for 24 hours, that should give me lots of time to print the carb guide and try to memorize it.
Thanks again guys for your patience and ideas.

Sounds like you can kick it and make it run at will when the carbs cooperate. That's good progress. The starter problem could be a dirty connection. Take the connection loose from the starter motor and shine it all up and put it back and see what happens. Also the connections to the starter relay. Close the connectors up a little bit with pliers where applicable, before you connect them, to make them tight. Running without making a lot of metal noise, which I think you'd have mentioned, is encouraging that nothing is wrong with the engine. You might have to eventually take the starter motor off and see if something's wrong with it.

Sounds to me like flooding... you pull everything apart, the plugs get a chance to dry out, and she fires. Then you flood it out, and she wont fire again. Get a spare set of plugs, narrow down your issues.

Back