Errrr Clutch Reassembly Questions - 1975 (pics included)

estcstm3

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Dammit, i have been fighting a slew of issues in my quest to replace and fix my starter gear and clip and now I have stumbled into some clutch discrepancies. As part of that process I removed my clutch basket and went today to reassembly everything. I started comparing my parts to both my clymers and shop manual and i had extra washers. Well i read enough here to figure out the manuals were missing some washers. Additionally I have a 1975 and currently have 7 friction plates. Everywhere I Read I am supposed to have 6. Also the manual says that there is a specific order to the friction plates, I guess there are two aluminum backed and the rest are fiber backed. I think I have spotted the aluminum but I am not sure the order.

Here is my clutch assembly laid out in order going from left to right. The next set are my 7 clutch plates.

I circled the two in red that are i believe the aluminum backed ones that manual is referring too.

Attachments

• 20141031_215837.jpg
    20141031_215837.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 20141031_215951.jpg
    20141031_215951.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 156
  • 20141031_215957.jpg
    20141031_215957.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 157
  • 20141031_220003.jpg
    20141031_220003.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 134
Here is a fairly good parts diagram (it is missing one of the washers for the needle bearing). If you look it shows that all 7 friction plates are the same for the '75. I hope that helps.

Clayton

Well I just went through clutch problems about 6 weeks ago.
PO had put the clutch in wrong.
Anyway I shot video which should help You
The clutch is a newer basket which holds 6 friction and 5 steel disks
if the clutch hasen't been changed out to a newer one your will hold 7 friction and 6 steel disks
There are 2 pix if youlook you will see the difference
the newer one holds 6/5 it has a factory spacer in it pic 1
the older one holds 7/6 it does ot have a factory spacer in it pic 2
I also dont know anything about aluminum disks

Attachments

• clutch confusion 011.jpg
    clutch confusion 011.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 133
  • clutch confusion 012.jpg
    clutch confusion 012.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 151
okay so based on reading having 7 is okay. Still have these questions that dont seem to be specifically adressed in the videos or other posts. The videos are always good for me, definitely feel im on the right track just need to verify the below questions:

1) What order do the 7 friction plates have to go? Looks like two of my plates are the aluminum backed type see my pic.

2) Did i get the order correct for the clutch assembly? Can somebody verify, my first pic is the over view.

Thanks!

It it's looks like the order is correct.
Plates goes friction steel friction steel friction steel friction steel friction steel friction steel friction
my vdeo shows you that and how to adjust the clutch too. you should adjust it before putting the cover back on in my opinion

thanks I am Carbon. Got the fiber steel fiber order, but i feel like the shop manual is eluding to a specific order of the friction plates. Here is the exact quote from my yamaha manual.

"When installing the six friction plates (between the metal clutch plates), install two fiber-backed plates, then both aluminum-backed plates, and finally the remaining two fiber-backed plates, with the appropriate clutch plates between each friction plates."

since I have 7 plates trying to make sense of the order.

have you seen this pic
it has different locking washer also #9 and #10 needs to swapped
9 is the lockwasher 10 is the conical spring
full
[/IMG]

thanks I am Carbon. Got the fiber steel fiber order, but i feel like the shop manual is eluding to a specific order of the friction plates. Here is the exact quote from my yamaha manual.

"When installing the six friction plates (between the metal clutch plates), install two fiber-backed plates, then both aluminum-backed plates, and finally the remaining two fiber-backed plates, with the appropriate clutch plates between each friction plates."

since I have 7 plates trying to make sense of the order.

I have not ever seen aluminum plates.
and all the clutches I've seen has fiber and steel.
If it were my engine I would get all steel plates i wouldn't use aluminum plates

The line you are referring to applies to the first gen clutches that had 6 thicker friction plates, which 2 of them were made with different compositions, and 5 steels. What you are dealing with is a mid gen clutch that used 7 identical friction plates and 6 steels. So as long you start and finish with a friction plate and alternate like carbons post you will be good.

I hope that is the info you are looking for.

Clayton

The line you are referring to applies to the first gen clutches that had 6 thicker friction plates, which 2 of them were made with different compositions, and 5 steels. What you are dealing with is a mid gen clutch that used 7 identical friction plates and 6 steels. So as long you start and finish with a friction plate and alternate like carbons post you will be good.

I hope that is the info you are looking for.

Clayton

thanks that is what I was looking for!

ippytatto - is it just coincidence that two of my clutch plates are silver (metal) in color on the side and all the others the darker fiber color? See my first pic where I am holding all my friction and steel plates.

Yes, I would say that's just a slight manufacturing difference or variance. The fiber is bonded to the steel core with glue of some sort. On most of yours, it appears that glue was squeezed out and has covered the edge of the steel center plate. To be sure, you can measure the plate thicknesses. Those early aluminum ones mentioned in your manuals were 3.5mm thick. All your "mid gen" friction plates should be 3mm thick (or close to it).

Back