Errrr Clutch Reassembly Questions - 1975 (pics included)

Yes it is probably just a coincidence they look that way. A quick measurement of the friction plates will verify the thickness and a magnet will tell you if it is steel or alloy. A quick way to see what is under the black on your others is to take a small flat hand file and "clean up" between a couple fingers on one of your friction plates and you will see the same metal underneath. If you just clean off some of the black it will not affect the performance of the clutch.

Hi I am carbon

Your videos are great. So I went to put everything back together tested out my clutch and no resistence. I had to pull the other cover and the cable was off the worm gear.

So i pulled my clutch rod and even though I have a 75 i only had one rod. So I should only have two total bearings right? One in the worm gear and one on the other side in the clutch basket behind the T shaped piece right? How much travel should I have on the clutch basket when I pull the lever? It seems that the bottom of my basket moves more than the tope even though I torques the clutch spring screws (with my new dial torque wrench) all to 75 in/lbs? Gonna button it up tonight and see if i got things sorted out.

Cool I happy they help a bit.
Yes 2 balls just as you stated. the travel has to be enough to let the disks slip
I've never measured but it's not alot.
I know someone knows because I read it probably in one of Twomanys tidbits threads those links are in tech section in the sub section clutch.

The clutch separation is ~2.0mm with the OEM worm screw mechanism. The one with the hole closer to the center will give just slightly more than the one with the hole further from the center.

thanks guys. Enough analysis paralisys on my part. Ill have her back together tonight and let you all know how she feels. Funny how this project started to just replace the electric start bendix gear, but then turned into more of a clutch project at the end.... Good learning experience for me.

This is my first "vintage" bike so I have learned a ton! I couldnt do it without the patience of you guys though! Hopefully in a few years I will be able to help the next person out.

Back