Euro Bar Mounting Problems?

eyewinder

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello! I've been a member for several months, but this is my first post! Got my 1980 Special back in May and have been (very) slowly cleaning it up. The bike had been sitting for about 26 years, so there is a lot of work to do to get it running again (carbs are a work in progress). Learning a ton of stuff here – this site is an excellent resource!

My question pertains to the new euro bars I received from Mike's XS / XS650Direct. I think the centre of the bars is too narrow for my stock riser mounts, which are nearly 4-7/8" apart on the outside. The clamp position falls at the point where the bar starts to bend and is slightly oval (wider and flatter). Because of this, the bars don't seem to want to seat properly in the bottom clamp and the top one has a small gap where the bar is flattened. I'm concerned that it may be a safety issue. Has anyone else noticed this with the euro bars from Mike's?

I previously purchased a similar set of EMGO euro bars (with 4-1/2" center spec) and had the same problem. Prior to buying these ones I emailed Mike's and was told they have a 5" centre…

Thinking about sending them back. Appreciate any insight - Thanks

The bars are narrower at the bend:
euro-bar-centre.jpg

The undistorted centre section is a bit less than 4", possibly less than the EMGO bars:
euro-bar-centre-rule.jpg

I put Euro bars on my SR500. It has the same top clamp and bar clamp as my XS. These bars fit fine. I think they were Bar Master brand. I'll measure the center and get back to you.

Checked, about 5.5". Plenty of room for the clamps.

Tom

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Your perception of safety is probably paramount here, but if the bars are solid when bolted down, it may be serviceable. Usually it is hardly worth your time to pack up and return low dollar stuff like that.
Kapscomoto in Pickering is another good source for bars and batteries and some tools like a thread repair kit I can endorse. And you can walk around and handle the stuff before you buy.

Hi eyewinder,
I guess you are a while away from a road test so what I'd try is reefing the bar clamps down as tight as they'll go and then sit on the seat and heave on the bars as hard as you can to see if they'll move before making a decision.
You can:-
Live with it.
Try getting your money back (good luck with that, eh?)
Say "effem!", suck up the cost and get different bars anyway.
Gotta be a crapload of bike swapmeets in the Toronto area.
Along with the biker gang prospects selling stolen Harley parts to each other there's always a table full of used bars.
usually U-pick at $20 each.
You and your tape measure (and your 6" plastic caliper: the 1" bars are obvious but the 22mm BMW bars are the Devil's trap)
could take a visit.

Emgo Euro bars are on my 78 rider. The bend radius was concerningly close but clamped fine. In imagine there is some manufacturing tolerance/variance ? I got lucky and like the bars tho narrow for my mirrors. Good luck ! Go to the rack & look ? RT

Thanks for the replies and tips everyone. I'll try tightening them down harder to see if they seat ok. If not, I'll just hang onto them for some future use. It's not worth the cost of return shipping...

I think they were Bar Master brand. . . . Checked, about 5.5". Plenty of room for the clamps.

Thanks for measuring your bars Tom. They sound like a good bet if these ones don't work out. By chance, did you mean Bikemaster brand?
Found these ones: https://www.denniskirk.com/bikemaster/7-8-in-european-handlebar-110530.p598895.prd/598895.sku

Draw a line across them, cut them in half. Add an inch or so and plug weld them, use the line you drew to line them up straight.
Leo

Update – Decided to go with a tracker style bar instead and donate the euro bar to my dad. Think I got a little sidetracked with the handlebars, but the stock buckhorns simply had to go! Now back to getting that engine moving again…

Update – Decided to go with a tracker style bar instead and donate the euro bar to my dad. Think I got a little sidetracked with the handlebars, but the stock buckhorns simply had to go! Now back to getting that engine moving again…

I did the same thing on my 79' Special. Focused on the safety stuff first ... brakes, tires etc. But the one exception I made was getting rid of the rototiller handlebars!

Back