Events of the day

Taxcut

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I was riding a 1982 xjs650, shaft drive, to work to show it to a perspective buyer. On the way home the rear drum brakes "seized" for lack of better word. The rear tire wouldnt spin when I put it on its center stand trying to diagnose the issue. I loosed the rear brake pedal to release the rear tire and began to limp it home.

Upon almost getting home I was riding up a hill, hit a small bump, and the bike went boom/pop and instantly died. I cant really describe the sound.... I tried to turn the bike over again and it is making a grinding sound of sorts. I am guessing cam chain issue/broke? What kind of damage might I be looking at?

As the bike isn't mine and I was riding it I feel responsible for fixing it. Even though when I got it from the owner it wasn't running due to carb issues. That is neither here nor there, just trying to feel out how bad damage might be or how little it might be. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
:banghead::mad::wtf:

start pulling covers see what does doesn't move when you crank it. IMHO an xj650 needing engine work is beyond economic repair. unless you find another engine. For the first bit I want to guess a brake lining fell off unless something else let go and your brake work just let it free up for a short while.

Sounds like the rear shoes for the rear brake delaminated due to old glue/adheisive released and the brake material jammed up between shoebacking, and drum or post's. You should not have ridden the bike for any reason. Now whoknows what damage is done to the tranny,clutch and/or engine and/or wheels and drums.

I might suggest looking for a forum such as this one that caters to 4 cylinder Yamaha's.
They might have a wider knowledge base on that type of engine.
Leo

Back