Ever get the itch for a "modern" bike?

scott s

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I think I'll always have something vintage in the garage. And, unfortunately, I like projects....something to do.

However, lately, I've REALLY been kicking around the idea of thinning the herd and getting something a few years old to really pile on the miles.

Don't get me wrong....I LOVE my CB550's, and I've always had an XS650 in the garage ever since I started messing around with motorcycles. But after a recent trip to the North Georgia mountains (in my cage), I really started wanted something.....else. Something modern, not needing constant tweaking, something that I could really put some highway miles on....

Trouble is, I don't know what I'd get rid of. I LOVE my '71 CB500, but with the 400F bars and rear-sets, it's not good for 300 mile days. The '78 550K is super comfy and fun to ride, plus I just finished it about 200 miles ago. The XS is down right now with an undiagnosed engine noise, but I don't want to get rid of it, either. An XS was my first bike and it's getting hard to find nice examples for a decent price.

Then.....what to get?
- A Triumph Bonneville or T100? LOVE the Thruxton, but I already have a bike with low bars.
- BMW GS? Not quite my style and a little spendy.
- Kawasaki Versys oe ER6N? A little odd looking.
- SV650?
- V-Strom?

If you were in the market for an affordable standard style bike, what would you look at? Something with handlebars, NOT clip-ons. Preferably a twin of some sort. Something, say, less than ten years old. Has luggage or can be fitted without much trouble. And semi-affordable....~$5500-6500 range, max. Something not quite "dual sport" like the Tenere', etc.

I am a huge fan of the SV650/1000, so I am biased. If I were looking for a bike to ride and pile up the miles on, I would go with the naked SV650. I have owned 3 or 4 and currently have an SV1000S that I ride. You can find a very nice used SV650 ~$3,000-4,000 and you can buy bags, racks and windshields if that is your style. I have never had a problem with any of my SVs, my 1000 just rolled past 44,444 miles and just keeps going. One of my SV650s I bought with 33,000 miles. They are known to go 100K miles with basic maintenance. Another bike I can suggest is the Yamaha FZ1/FZ6. I personally prefer a v-twin, but I have owned an FZ1 that was a very comfortable bike with plenty of power. If you are looking at an FZ, I would buy one of the newer models with the inverted forks. These bikes are also known for being highly reliable. My $0.02 on a good bike to pile them miles on.

I have a 2010 Versys 650 and i loooove it. Givi hard bags and crash bars, 12v socket for my heated vest, lowered foot pegs, Metzeler tourance tire on the back and an avon distanzia on the front, takes me down dirt and gravel and tons of highway trouble free miles, all i need for it now is a better seat. you can get a used one for a steal at 5-6k u.s. i would imagine. TONS of power for a 650cc parallel twin. 60+hp.

My g/f is looking for a new ride as her bmw is older, so we are looking at the 2012 Vstrom650, what a machine for the money

pic is outdated, (no givi bags etc) My 2 week trip to vancouver island.

P7250017.jpg

Last edited:
Don't get rid of any of them. Just add more :)

I have a 2007 FZ1 and will always have at least one modern bike as well as a pile of older ones.

Any other bike I get will always be a twin including sportbikes, if I ever get another one. After my Duc everything else felt plain and without any soul. I also don't ride a bike to be like everyone else hence the XS instead of a HD.

Fast but appliance like, the FZR's Bandit 1200's, Comfy but slow the 1100 Shadows.
Any of these bikes can be found in nice shape for 3 3.5 K$

I've got a 2007 SV650 naked version. I think of it as an homage to the early cafe racers. It's a 650 twin, needs to have it's suspension upgraded (I have done that) has a good support forum and they are just downright fun to ride!
I would suggest that you get one in the standard blue color, everyone knows they are faster than any other color!

I would love a Kawasaki W650. Modern tech and reliability, classic looks.
1+-+2001_kawasaki_w650.jpg

but of course I would mod it
4272759273_f3eb620568.jpg

I bought my XS brand new in 77 and it's fun for just a short ride but to jump on and ride for 3-400 miles..no way. I bought a brand new 09 V-Star 1300 for $6500 and added some bags and a windshield along with a few other goodies. It's like driving a Rolls Royce compared to the old XS. Water cooled, fuel injected, power aplenty and pretty comfy even in stock form. i think you need something with at least 1000cc if your going on the slab.

I had a standard SV 650, ABS was nice, now I have a Vstrom DL1000, each are were competent, prefer the Vstrom for being in the adventure bike club and a full litre, neither are as comfy as my Road Glide.

Attachments

• rg at gg.jpg
    rg at gg.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 223
I bought my XS brand new in 77 and it's fun for just a short ride but to jump on and ride for 3-400 miles..no way. I bought a brand new 09 V-Star 1300 for $6500 and added some bags and a windshield along with a few other goodies. It's like driving a Rolls Royce compared to the old XS. Water cooled, fuel injected, power aplenty and pretty comfy even in stock form. i think you need something with at least 1000cc if your going on the slab.

not true if it's not an old tech cruiser. my versy 650s can run circles around a friends vstar 1100.

And axe a Ducati out of there. I have owned a DS1000 powered Duc and a 999 sbk. If you cant do the work yourself then you better have deep pockets especially for a 4 valve. And, the GT1000 i bought brand new had a ton of problems, idle hover at 3k due to stepper motor problems, bubbling fuel tank, broken wires in harness.

My versys with the same kms has cost me nothing and done 2 trips already..That being said my 999 gave me no troubles except high service bills every 10,000 km's....and i will eventually buy a 996.

My son just got a 650 V-Strom, to replace his modern Triumph Bonneville. He hated the uncomfortable rock hard Bonneville seat. The V-Strom is reliable, comfortable, and with the windshield, good for long trips.
Me, I'm seriously looking at the 1000 V-Strom, just for the bigger bang.
I still wouldn't part with my Buell though...

I will still keep my old bikes 78' xs650 & 76'xs 650 with pma's and electronic ignitions. I also have a 1963 BSA with a Boyer it runs batteryless. I am seriously thinking on re-phasing the 76'. My bikes with modern electronic equipment and re-wiring seem dependable but time will tell.

Except for its hunger for clutch cables mine seems reliable too, and it's dead easy to work on if something does go wrong. Mine needed a new exhaust valve at about 37,000 and I chose at that point to put in a pair of first overs and new cam chain/guide. I guess that's not a lot of miles to get out of a top end compared to modern bikes, but I wouldn't say that's not reliable enough to travel. Who's going to rid 37k in one trip?

Back