Ever get the itch for a "modern" bike?

For what you have in mind...you don't have to leave great vintage bikes. This bike remains very high on my list from any era. Of course, I am an Airhead in addition to being a FLOB, For long touring I'd probably put a Parabellum fairing and a rear rack on it as well.
But the R 75/6 basic is still a great versatile, reliable, smooth DIY high speed cruiser for $4-5k An all time favorite as far as I'm concerned
and so modern it even has an electric starter. Airhead Beemers are really great machines as far as I'm concerned.

Still comes down to "Horses for Courses" however and the XS is sure no touring cruiser

Attachments

• Old_N_Fast-small.pdf
    936.8 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
it's not that it's not reliable....but modern suspension/brakes/HP, EFI, Liquid cooling, lots of ground clearance, big charging system to run all my heated gear and a lot of room fo hard luggage all win out over an old machine for racking up miles across the continent.

it's really apples to oranges. i love my xs's...and i love my Versys even more for seeing the world.

i might be a little more open to touring with the XS if we had more back roads around here where the speed limits were lower. Its all 110+ km/h slab to get anywhere out of the city, and the back roads are so bad or gravel it's no fun on oldies. The V makes it enjoyable.

I'm REALLY digging the Versys. Second up is the V-Strom. Both in 650 guise.....don't need/want 1,000cc's.

I would possibly consider the ER6-n and the SV650 (but not the S model...no clip ons for me, thanks), but those are the naked bike/street-fighter versions of the aforementioned bikes. I like that the Versys and V-Strom are more upright and tuned for mid/low range power. Good weight, good MPG and both are twins.

I think that if I could substract more than a few years I'd be right in there with you on the Versys Scott....In fact I'd be likely be 'Jonesin' for one by now. Best, Blue

Versys has 2 flaws...

Factory seat is awful....you can mod it easy for more comfort or buy a corbin...i modded mine but im buying a new one.

Tall bike, im 5'11 and iam on the ball of my feet when i stop.

Vstrom 650 is so good too you cant go wrong with either.

Ninja 650 is also good, a little more sporty seating, but it can be had with the same givi luggage and its got the same awesome motor.

I would love a Kawasaki W650. Modern tech and reliability, classic looks.
1+-+2001_kawasaki_w650.jpg

but of course I would mod it
4272759273_f3eb620568.jpg

Passed on on in the shipping crate for $4000. Still kicking myself.

In defense, a straight SV650 is all about torque! Yes, they will spin up to 10K rpm, but if you ever shift it above 6000, you're just strumming it. Mine will torque wheelie from mid-throttle in first and second gear, no clutch required, just whack it. I put a 1 inch higher bar on it since I'm long in the upper body. Leg room is probably the only real deficit on a naked 650. A good portion of folks that have owned a V-strom 650 and 1000 actually prefer the 650. Lighter handling. I would have probably bought a strom if it was out in 2002, when I bought my SV, but I am going to run it 'til I hate it. 10 years, 68,000 miles, and I'm still loving it. Also, 99-02 SV's look better than that hump-back tank on the 03 and up. Plus, the round frame tubes are sexier!

I've been drooling over pre-'12 Triumph Street Triples for a while now. Maybe in a couple years when prices come down and my skill level goes up.

Ride a "modern" bike so my itch eas for a older bike. Wanna do a BSA bobber and in my research came across the Xs650 and decided to go that rout... for now anyway. Looking forward to building my own bike.

ive always liked those kawa W650s too. What were the production years for those? Were they sold in the States?

That stock photo makes it looks almost like a Triumph Bonneville

Don't count out an Ural. Who wouldn't want a side car rig with two powered wheels? Plus that powered sidecar wheel gives you all-terrain capability and you'll probably be the only one in the area with one.

I had a W650 when I was in Japan in 1971-72

It was sexy as hell, but three things made me get rid of it:

1. With the Amal "tickler" carbs, it was a miserable son of a bitch to start. Never did find the correct combination for reliable starting.

2. Brakes were marginal to the point of being scary.

3. High speed handling (I was into street racing at the time) was nervous-making as well. Scared the crap out of myself a couple of times.

IIRC, it was replaced by an RD350 Yamaha. MUCH more satisfactory for twisty-bashing...

ive always liked those kawa W650s too. What were the production years for those? Were they sold in the States?

That stock photo makes it looks almost like a Triumph Bonneville

only sold for 2 years, and they only sold a couple/few thousand during that time.

I know i'll catch flack for it, but I would love a DN01

dn01_us_lead.jpg

Posted via Mobile
Actually, if I had the money and a halfway decent shop to work in, I think I would want one of them for a custom bike project. Swap out that DN-01 motor for a regular tranny version from the NT-700, and convert it to chain drive, and move the controls to a bit more agressive stance, and I think you would have the basis for a very unique ride.

Now, I already have a relatively modern bike in my stable. A 1998 Honda Shadow 750 ACE. I love it, but I also kinda crave a sport bike.
I would love to get an 05 Honda RC-51, and rebody it to look just like a Superhawk. With proper suspension tuning, you could get it to feel less harsh on the street, but still track ready for when the bug hits. And that engine... I always felt that Honda nutted down a lot of their bikes. Bump the compression, new cams, and run a Powercommander V, and you might be able to give an 1198 a decent run.

Glad to see we have a substantial SV contingent here. I bought my 2003 SV650 new as an end-of-year leftover--under $6K, delivered. Damping left much to be desired, but Race Tech emulators and springs, an Ohlins double-clicker shock, and careful sag adjustment resolved those issues. 11.5:1 compression, runs on 87 octane pump gas, redlines at 11K, pulls like a freight train from 4K--that ain't engineering, it's sorcery.

Back