Exaust help?

J ray

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got an 81 xs650 that I want to put glasspacs on the stock headers. Can anyone spell out what needs to be done.? Moreover, is there any thing i'll need to remove from the headers once I get the stock mufflers off of them? Can I just mount the glasspacs over the o.d. of the headers? I would like to know what to expect with this job, I have never messed with exaust mods so any help is apreciated. Thanks! J.R.

I've got an 81 xs650 that I want to put glasspacs on the stock headers. Can anyone spell out what needs to be done.? Moreover, is there any thing i'll need to remove from the headers once I get the stock mufflers off of them? Can I just mount the glasspacs over the o.d. of the headers? I would like to know what to expect with this job, I have never messed with exaust mods so any help is apreciated. Thanks! J.R.

Are you talking about wrapping the headers? as glass packs go into the exhausts......Header wraps

I think he's talking about Cherry Bomb Glasspacks like this: http://www.cherrybomb.com/products/glasspack

You could cut the stock mufflers off the headpipes and either weld or clamp something that to it. You'd probably need reducers and you might have clearance problems with a few things.. but maybe not.

J Ray, the factory exhaust headers have two pipe's in them . The outside pipe is the chrome one. The point to this is that there are two hole's in the outer pipe, one at the head area, the other at the bottom. If you slip glass pack's over them, you'll have a noisy exhaust leak that will probably cause popping on the decell.Easy enough fix, just weld or braze them shut. It's very easy to not see tose hole's, and a pain in the ass to take it all apart again to fix them. Just my:twocents:.

Yep, if you look at the pictures in the first link I posted, you'll see what Gordon is talking about.

Here is an alternative for aftermarket mufflers on to original double walled pipes

MUFFLER ADAPTER
Pamcopete; Well, I found the best way to match an aftermarket muffler to the double walled headers is with the use of an adapter:

Part number 548520, available at most auto supply stores. It's a 1 1/2 inside diameter to 1 3/8 outside diameter.

I used it to install my mufflers on my '81/H stock double walled pipes.

It looks like the muffler is clamped to the outer header pipe, but not so. It is just butted up against the outer pipe.
The smaller diameter of the adapter fits over the inner pipe. The muffler fits over the larger diameter. It's such a tight fit on the inner pipe that I didn't have to use any sealant, but if you want to, you can use a muffler sealant.

I think a lot of people just clamp the muffler over the outer pipe which is not designed for any pressure and in fact leaks at the header flange and has two drain holes.

I have the pics but they are in a document and cannot upload them,

Not to be too picky, but the holes in the outer pipe aren't there for drainage (leaving them without holes would eliminate that issue). They're vents, and their purpose is to relieve pressure caused by heating and cooling of air between the inner and outer pipes (which may or may not be a real-world issue). Pete's solution is a good one, as a single vent should be adequate. Drainage is unnecessary, as any water between the pipes will be driven off as steam; just don't let it get in there and freeze. Awhile ago I was e-mailed for advice by an experienced and knowledgeable amateur wrench who couldn't figure out, after competent and reinspected work on carbs and ignition and a compression check, why his left cylinder wouldn't run right. I was stumped. He gave up looking and took the bike to a mechanic who took a listen and identified the grief right away. The PO had gotten water in through the top vent; presumably the machine was left laid over in the weather, or the PO may have had a hose on it before storage, forcing water through. The bottom vent was blocked, and the water froze between the pipes. The outer wall was undeformed, but the inner was crushed completely closed!

Thanks everyone for the great advice and sorry bout the double posting on this thread, guess I smoked too much on the day (or night):confused: of the 1st posting and didn't remember doing this. Anyway, I'll put up photos, start to finish, when I'm done and probably a question somewhere in the middle:D

Lovin springtime, JR

Here is an alternative for aftermarket mufflers on to original double walled pipes

MUFFLER ADAPTER
Pamcopete; Well, I found the best way to match an aftermarket muffler to the double walled headers is with the use of an adapter:

Part number 548520, available at most auto supply stores. It's a 1 1/2 inside diameter to 1 3/8 outside diameter.

I used it to install my mufflers on my '81/H stock double walled pipes.

It looks like the muffler is clamped to the outer header pipe, but not so. It is just butted up against the outer pipe.
The smaller diameter of the adapter fits over the inner pipe. The muffler fits over the larger diameter. It's such a tight fit on the inner pipe that I didn't have to use any sealant, but if you want to, you can use a muffler sealant.

I think a lot of people just clamp the muffler over the outer pipe which is not designed for any pressure and in fact leaks at the header flange and has two drain holes.

I have the pics but they are in a document and cannot upload them,

A link to the photos pamcopete posted...........Muffler adapter

Good info, I cut my 81 exhaust and have wondered why I have an exhaust leak and some runability issues. I just clamped the exhaust to the header without an od. Looks like I will revisit and see what happens.

Back