Exhaust Systems

jobagadonitz

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,
Does anybody know what's my best bet for duplicating this type of setup (nice bike BTW, Grepper) on an '80 Special? I like the up-swept look of the mufflers.

Is this system from Mike's what I'm looking for?
http://www.mikesxs.net/products-43.html#products
(bottom of page)
It doesn't mention which years it will fit. Anybody have any experience with this one?

thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• CommandoPipes.jpg
    CommandoPipes.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 181
Yes, that's the "Commando" system. All Specials are the same as far as exhaust mounts go, doesn't matter what year. We hung one on my buddy's '80 Special. Fits pretty good but needed a little fabbing. I can provide a couple pics if you need them.

Can you expand on "needed a little fabbing"? What all was involved?

Also, yes, if it's not too much trouble, I'd like to see a pic.

thanks.

First off, let me say that I'm not sure if my buddy ordered the "system" or just got the headpipes and mufflers separately. Whichever he got, the headpipes were a bit long which placed the sliding track on the mufflers farther back than it should have been. Install wasn't difficult though. We were able to use the original chrome muffler brackets, we just had to move them back to the passenger peg mounts. Then we simply tied the muffler's sliding track to the hanger bracket with the provided mounting strap .....

JoesMuffs.jpg

A steel plate spacer was installed between the strap and sliding track to give clearance for the bolt heads in the hanger bracket. From the side, you don't see any of this and the set-up looks fine .....

JoesMuffs2.jpg

We also added "P" clamps to the headpipes to more firmly mount them. You can just make one out in the lower right of this pic, below the footpeg .....

JoesMuffs3.jpg

If you get the "system", maybe the headpipes will be a bit shorter or the sliding track farther forward on the muffler, and you won't need to do this "fabbing".

In my opinion, wonderful, just like a motorcycle should sound. They're louder than stock of course but not obnoxiously loud like straight pipes. After hearing mine, that's why my buddy bought his.

Frank, I think you'd be better off ordering a 2-into-1 from Gordon Scott. I went the mikes XS route and wish I had known about Gordon at the time.

Back