Extensions for top of fork tubes

ogh11756

Project Hound
Reaction score
Ok guys, i am a cheap bastard.
I am building a hardtailed 77 xs650, i have the hardtail welded and wheels/tires on.
I like the stance but had an idea for using clipon bars.
I am trying to think of a cheap way to add a 2" to 3" extensions to the top of the fork tubes, allowing me to attach the clipon bars on the top side of the triple tree.
I already have a use for the vacated riser mount holes. I can not afford +2 fork tubes.
I am thinking of chamfering a couple pieces of 1.375" dia TGP rod and tig welding them (below flush) to the top plugs, then tig welding a hex nut on top for future plug removal.
Any reasons this is totally insane (or ill advised) and will not work.

Guys use to add slugs to their fork legs back in the day. You have to turn a piece of steel the same dia. as the tube,and then turn,and thread the end to go into your fork tube. I don't know about safe but having a machine shop make those would not be cheap!!!

They quit making and selling them due to the forks splitting where they are not supported by the upper tree. With this and the subsequent crashes, it's easy to see why.
On your arrangement where the extension is going to be above the upper tree, it may be ok. Me I would just use a drag bar until I could afford the longer tubes.
Leo

They quit making and selling them due to the forks splitting where they are not supported by the upper tree. With this and the subsequent crashes, it's easy to see why.
On your arrangement where the extension is going to be above the upper tree, it may be ok. Me I would just use a drag bar until I could afford the longer tubes.
Leo

Well i don't want to kill myself and leaning forward to reach the clip on bars is not apealing to me now. Guess i will invest in HHB solid spacers for now.
Trying to save my cash for PMA/PAMCO upgrade.

Back