Eye/Face Protection

_MC6_

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just thought I'd share a lesson that I learned the hard way... Use face/eye protection when using grinder and power tools (DUH!!!)... I had to to and get a piece of steel taken out of my eye with a 30 ga needle b/c they did not have a dremel type burr tool they use for "foreign bodies"... Here's the best part -- I had to go back this week for another "polishing" with that evil device b/c of remaining rust particles. USE A FACE SHIELD!!!! glasses don't work I had glasses on!

It was like sitting in the normal eye doctor's chair and being told not to move while someone pokes and drags (tattoo like!) a needle into your eye tissue to dig out and remove eye tissue affected by the steel and rust.... I could not take it and accidentally moved a bit and the doc was like "what did you just do???" Damn if I had hands as steady as he did I could TIG weld like nobody's business... Then there's the return visit -- You know the thing looks JUST like this http://www.stilotigworldwide.com/ funny that I was thinking I could use it to sharpen my tungsten electrodes for TIG welding...

Great advice! I see one of these threads at least one a few months on one of the many (25) boards that I peruse.

I grabbed up my grinder a few years ago that had an old disc in it, not knowing that it had a bad crack, but no break in it.

I was just going to cut the end off of a 1.4 inch bolt; and I wear glasses everyday, so I am lazier than most (well not anymore).

The disc exploded and hit me dead in the glass lens and buried ittsef into my eyebrow. It was so fast I could not react, but it caterized my eyebrow shut, so no stitches, yet was going fast enough that it ground the metal frame bad enough that it would not hold my frames tight to the lens anymore.

If I had not been wearing glasses, I would have lost my eye. I am an idiot.

I now wear a full face shield.

I forgot to mention that I am stupid and lazy... Or used to be regarding this... I'm sure most know better :doh:

Back