False neutral help, I've checked all the typical.

Scallywag303

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Need help... I have the false neutral happening in any gear, under load or shifting lightly, sometimes cant grab a gear at all. Checked the shift fork springs in right cover(not broken, properly adjusted star gear), all of the clutch rods and balls are in place, clutch properly adjusted, checked the neutral detent spring it looks fine and the detent is there. The shifter shaft moves left to right maybe a little less than 1/4". Any thoughts? motor is an 82 with an older 7 plate clutch swapped in by p.o..

Motor was just put into bike have no idea of previous history other then it runs fine minus the false neutral.

Last edited:
Three things come to mind, but you'll need the service manual to see the details that I'll gloss over.

- 1/4" shift shaft in/out play is a bit much. The shifter claw arm needs to be able to keep the claws centered in a specific groove of the shiftdrum.

Shift claw centering - If the shift claws are not equidistant from the shiftdrum's pins (at rest), shifting to an adjacent gear may not complete.

Shiftdrum retention - There's a small C-shaped retainer plate that keeps the shiftdrum from skidding side-to-side, which would compromise full shiftfork travel...

Last edited:
Thanks TwoMany, always have an answer! I'll give it a look in the next couple days. I have heard of people adding a washer behind the c-clip to take up the slack in the shift shaft play. I feel like its kind of a Band-Aid for a larger problem but I'll check out what you designated.

Anytime, it was nice it should be almost 80 today. Rode the bike anyway. Its rideable just makes me look like a newby when it hits that false neutral...

Back