Farewell, XS650

How many of these "bitch about how other people build THEIR xs650" threads are we going to have? Have you silly old geezers forgot that we just discussed this last week?:laugh:

Yes we have, it's part of being old (and cranky), may you be lucky enough to become one of us :thumbsup:

I for one really enjoy what's happened. It means when I sell my chop next spring it'll fetch a lot more money than it would have otherwise. ;)

Apparently anything with XS650 on it is worth gold right now.

OMG! :yikes::yikes::yikes:Hmmmm. These have all been chopped since last weekend?

I have a nice stock Special you could buy from me and save it. :)

Th Tuetels are so last year. Cafe is the word today.

John

Attachments

• IMG_0507.jpg
    IMG_0507.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0494.jpg
    IMG_0494.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 174
Hey, SFTU? I applaud all the ingenuity and skill and imagination it takes to modify or improve any bike. All I'm saying is enough already. The XS650 has been chopped to death. They all look the same, just like Harleys do. Hmm. I'll paint it black, put some chrome on it, and add a Maltese cross and some skulls. It'll be bichin'. If you want to chop your XS650, great. But does everybody have to do it? It's like anything else in America. People don't know when to stop. The guy who said cafes are now the next wave is probably right. Until you ride a set of clip-ons. Now any old Honda is getting expensive because there's a coming rage to cafe-nate. As for the guy who wants to ride by my house, don't bother. I know what your bike looks like and how it sounds.

Man Pete, if you think this is fucked up, you should see what people are doing with cars and trucks from the 1920s up through the 1960s. You would have a fucking stroke!

I don't agree or disagree. I think you are right that the bikes will become harder and harder to find and parts from salvage are super hard to get, and its something that, unfortunately can't be undone. Once you chop the bike, that's it. Its one less from the existing pool, and I think the older you get, the more you gravitate to wanting to "restore" than to trick it out. Its kinda like the whale hunting. The folks doing it at the time see nothing wrong with it, and then all the sudden, they all go out to go hunting, and there are no whales left! Which is not for you or I to say that they should or shouldnt do whatever they want to their bikes, its just a commentary on the fact that each chop job removes a potential restore from the supply.

I don't care for choppers or bobbers, but that's just me. I think doing whatever to a XS650, is not the same as doing it to a sandcast 69 CB750 Honda, or a 73 Kawi Z1. I just don't see the XS650 as a Iconic bike like those 2 I mentioned. A good bike yes, but it's not a legendary bike that should not be "destroyed" by building one any way other than original. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
All I'm saying is enough already. The XS650 has been chopped to death. They all look the same, just like Harleys do. Hmm. I'll paint it black, put some chrome on it, and add a Maltese cross and some skulls. It'll be bichin'. If you want to chop your XS650, great. But does everybody have to do it?

Its important to note that this forum has become a popular place to follow the xs650. From the outside it appears hardtailed XS650s are everywhere but on the street they are still a scarcity to see chopped...

One could also argue chopped 650s are a far cry from a Harley, which IS the allure with this bike. Not quite your average "tattoos" and "Iron Cross" hardtail like the many, many Harleys that have been produced stock, and are still being produced to this day.

Hey, SFTU? I applaud all the ingenuity and skill and imagination it takes to modify or improve any bike. All I'm saying is enough already. The XS650 has been chopped to death. They all look the same, just like Harleys do. Hmm. I'll paint it black, put some chrome on it, and add a Maltese cross and some skulls. It'll be bichin'. If you want to chop your XS650, great. But does everybody have to do it? It's like anything else in America. People don't know when to stop. The guy who said cafes are now the next wave is probably right. Until you ride a set of clip-ons. Now any old Honda is getting expensive because there's a coming rage to cafe-nate. As for the guy who wants to ride by my house, don't bother. I know what your bike looks like and how it sounds.

The cafe craze is just starting? Wowzers Im a pioneer then! I've had my Honda for several years now... quick, to the classifieds!

Hey Look you won an award.

biggest_whiner_statue_2.jpg

Why not start a useful thread and share some knowledge instead of starting a thread just for complaining

Its important to note that this forum has become a popular place to follow the xs650. From the outside it appears hardtailed XS650s are everywhere but on the street they are still a scarcity to see chopped...

Agreed, this board is a place for everyone to share what they're working on, so it appears that every other xs is going under the knife. But in reality, I don't know of a single other xs650 in my group of about a dozen motorcycle buddies, and no other hardtail in the group besides mine. I'd love to run into another one on the road chopped or stock...

Ok Pete, You started this to get a response and kick the hornets nest so don't be surprised at the reaction people give you. I believe Yamaha made about a half million xs650's so we still have a few left. You said, "they all look alike", really? I don't have the time to post all the xs chop's that look nothing alike. You said "Looks cool, can't get out of its own way", well the xs is not fast anyway but shaving 75lbs off one won't make it slower. Also "built with a chainsaw"LOL... maybe in your garage:laugh: Why don't you post a picture of your bike so we all can see how creative you are, would love to see it or does it look like all the other stockers out there? Remember there's an ass for every saddle, if we (or all the bikes) were the same it would be pretty boring. p.s. no hard feeling Pete, just responding to your post :D

Back