Farewell, XS650

Its important to note that this forum has become a popular place to follow the xs650. From the outside it appears hardtailed XS650s are everywhere but on the street they are still a scarcity to see chopped...

Exactly. Just because you see them all day on the internet doesn't mean they are on every corner. Like going on a home-built airplane site and claiming that they are not cool because everyone has one. Plus I'm sure there are tons of people riding around stock XS650s that never post them on the internet. I'm sure just about every XS650 that has been chopped has been posted on the net.

Also.. guys, remember to be respectful when you argue. No point in personal attacks or telling someone to STFU. Read the site rules and guidelines.. specifically, the ones that talk about not being an ass.

Lastly.. I say to everyone..

catpushingwatermelon.jpg

I guess that goes for my argument above as well. :shrug:

At 20, and a rider of a virtually bone stock - original '75 XS650B I guess I might break the mold of the young guys who want to trick them out. But at the same time it is their bike and I cannot blame someone for wanting to put their signature on one of the best motorcycles of all time. So my advice: Do what I do and buy everyone you can find, and sell em to your friends who'll appreciate them for whatever purpose serves them and if there is a stocker left over keep it for yourself :)

Unfortunately many of the problems with clean stockers being cut is our governments heavy handed inability to produce VIN plates for custom builders.

Also is the inablity to reinstate a salvaged VIN or obtain title after its lost.

Seems to go against our nations sustainability plans. If you want people not to throw away junk, make it easier for them to sell it or own it legally.

And I work in government!

We can do titles if we are desperate enough. My herd is huge, wife claims 13 I argue some, but I think the most I paid for any bike I own is $400 that tells you how "rare" they are. The worst "crime" is lost titles. Due to my age and back I don't keep hardtails but anything else is fair game. The funny thing is by the time I get a bike running well and do all the reliability issues I have a hard time starting "mods". I have the stuff to do them but I seem to end up going back to stock most of the time.
My personal "comfort point" is can it be ridden? A bike that is just art and is impractical or suicidal on the street just bugs the crap out of me.

I'm old enough to remember all this same stuff being said about Harley 45's. I did a bunch of these some stock,some not. Now it is happening with the xs. They are,or were cheap enough so as to have a few different styles,and not break the bank. I have a bone stock 76,a hard tailed 78,and a 77modified swingarm bike. All 3 total about 2500 bucks so depending on the day,and mood you can ride what suits ya. Also the key word to my bike,or bikes is MY!! Do what you want with what you own.
Some guys take the finish off vintage guitars,now that really makes me mad.

If its not your bike then its not your problem. Don't want to see another xs get chopped, don't sell yours.

I doubt anybody here would notice, but the good old XS650 no longer exists. How so? They were all chopped to death by guys enamored with the Teutels and tattoos and being a bad-as$ outlaw. XS650s were relatively cheap and anybody with a chainsaw--I'm not making this up--could hack and whack their frames and make a rigid. Put a whitewall car tire on it. Drop it to 5 psi to survive the roads. Put the springer saddle on it from your Schwinn. Looks cool, can't get out of its own way, and rides like cr*p. We don't need no stinkin' shocks. Make sure you put apes on it. Real men ride apes. When I sell my 1980, I'll just ask one thing: don't ruin it by making it a chopper, because they're like bellybuttons--everybody has one.

you obviously have never rode a chop!!.....more fun than ridin your ol.....oh never mind..you wouldn't understand!!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

you obviously have never rode a chop!!.....more fun than ridin your ol.....oh never mind..you wouldn't understand!!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I have rode choppers-- lots of them-- and most are unsafe at any speed. But it's your bike and your life so cut them up anyway you like, the value of my stockers keeps going up. :bike:

I have rode choppers-- lots of them-- and most are unsafe at any speed. But it's your bike and your life so cut them up anyway you like, the value of my stockers keeps going up. :bike:

yes, there are some unsafe...poor welds etc...agreed some people should not be building bikes!!

but one put together right, is a absolute hoot (and has safe as any factory bike)!!!

hell I have seen "factory" bikes I wouldn't ride either...cobbled up repairs, bald tires, literally put together with haywire!!:yikes:

yes, there are some unsafe...poor welds etc...agreed some people should not be building bikes!!

but one put together right, is a absolute hoot (and has safe as any factory bike)!!!

hell I have seen "factory" bikes I wouldn't ride either...cobbled up repairs, bald tires, literally put together with haywire!!:yikes:

Safe as a factory bike? Safe as a 1948 Harley-Davidson perhaps but nothing like as safe as ANY 1970s factory machine. For starters, choppers suffer from rigid frames that add hundreds of pounds to the rear suspension loads. Even the best built choppers are ill handling monsters no matter what the brand or how well the welds are made.

Suspension serves far more than cushioning bumps.

To imply that ANY chopper or rigid frame bike is safer shows a complete lack of suspension basics. The swingarm was one of the greatest advancements ever made to increase the handling capabilities and make motorcycles safer to ride. And don't get me started on the springer...

I promise you that if rigid frames and choppers were safer or better handling then every racing bike ever built would be rigid and chopped. Or had you not noticed that racing bikes have swingarms?

Seriously, Dude, it's your bike and I welcome you to do with it what you like but let's keep claims somewhere near reality. Ride, build, have fun but keep it real.

No argument here in either case, however the nexus would be that we all love this bike, iconic or not and that it is a very versatile platform which allows creativity (or not). Let's ride fella's.:bike::bike:

I promise you that if rigid frames and choppers were safer or better handling then every racing bike ever built would be rigid and chopped. Or had you not noticed that racing bikes have swingarms?

im rolling 25-45 almost all the time that i ride my chop. i havent even been on the express way yet. my input on the safety (besides weld quality:rolleyes:) and the racing argument is suspension at low speeds TO ME makes no difference. im not racing. im not even racing or pushing myself.

taking a right from a stop isnt going to make me lowside because of road bumpy conditions. going around a sweeping turn at 45 is the same.

i know that my next point is pretty much invalid because were on two wheels but in nascar, when those redneck hillbillys are doing 180+ around a corner, their suspensions are 100% bottomed out.

at daytona raceway, do you know what vehicle has the fastest all time lap time when they race the road coarse? a freakin go-kart! no suspension at all.

i loooove these threads. i think we should start talking religion and politics more as well. and feel free to fact check me. to be honest im just going off of what my motorcycle teacher told me

Safe as a factory bike? Safe as a 1948 Harley-Davidson perhaps but nothing like as safe as ANY 1970s factory machine. For starters, choppers suffer from rigid frames that add hundreds of pounds to the rear suspension loads. Even the best built choppers are ill handling monsters no matter what the brand or how well the welds are made.

Suspension serves far more than cushioning bumps.

To imply that ANY chopper or rigid frame bike is safer shows a complete lack of suspension basics. The swingarm was one of the greatest advancements ever made to increase the handling capabilities and make motorcycles safer to ride. And don't get me started on the springer...

Seriously, Dude, it's your bike and I welcome you to do with it what you like but let's keep claims somewhere near reality. Ride, build, have fun but keep it real.

your shooting from the hip....

I am guessing a swing arm came along for comfort rather than safety..(please note your source!!)

a hardtail "lightens" the bike"...scales do not lie!!!!

Springer are kinda .."bouncy"...lol

motorcycles are dangerous ..anyway ya look at it...

gear up in your fancy ridin suit/armor and $500.00 full faced helmet..and have your fun...I love my chops and my suspended bikes too!!!.......52 years young and been ridin since age 12.....must be doing something right!!

please really put some miles on one before you form a opinion!!.....ALL bikes handle differently...

why do some Road Kings with rear suspension/swing arms have death wobble???????????????..

Last edited:
the rear suspension keeps the rear tire on the ground at all times. if your turning and your tire comes off the ground then you have problems. that is the safety point.
again, love these threads

Back