Finally bought my first XS, been waiting for years!

sullitf

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I've been wanting to buy an XS for years but never came across a good one at the right time. My original plan was to find a stock bike and do a full build but I just don't have the time for it right now. When I came across this '79 I just couldn't resist!

WP_000102.jpg

I've got a little work ahead of me to get this running strong, but the legwork is already done as far as fabrication goes so I can focus on the motor. The motor itself seems strong but I will know for sure once I rebuild the carbs.

The left carb is dripping gas from the overflow tube (well I'm assuming its the overflow tube). I always turn the petcock off when I park the bike so best I can figure the petcock is crap and drips gas even when closed. When I can find time in the next couple weeks I'm gonna take the petcock apart to see if its repairable and rebuild the carbs. I think I will also be replacing the exhaust, I'm all for a good set of straight pipes but I imagine it doesn't do anything for actual power output, and from what I've read it can be a pain getting the carbs tuned properly with cone filters and straight pipes.

I also plan to put in a PMA kit from Hugh's in the near future but am still looking into exactly what else is needed for it. I want to go batteryless which at a minimum means PMA + capacitor, do I also need a Pamco ignition?

I'm still torn on whether I want to go all out and do a rephrase/750cc rebuild....I'm not one to garage a bike all winter cause it gets "cold" in Seattle, but a winter rebuild is really tempting!

Looks like a solid start, nice find :thumbsup:

You don't need a pamco ignition with a points bike; but I'd recommend doing it anyway if it's in the budget.

On the petcocks, inside is athick rubber washer with four holes in it. Often the rubber gets worn, holes torn. Fisrt thing to try is flipping this rubber washer over to the fresh side. This often fixes the leaks. Cleaning it out, of course helps but on the part that turns use a very fine sand paper layed on a flat surface, with the working side of the turning part on the sandpaper move it in figures 8's to polish off any build up and burrs that might be on it.
Leo

Your carb overflow is probably from a float not closing. That could be a lot things (float level to high, float sticking, valve seat worn, piece of crap in the float valve) You need to take those float bowls off and take a look.

I ran a PAMCO with a no-battery PMA and it was a one-kick starter. The weak stock coil will very likely be VERY marginal on a kick-only bike without a battery.

I'm in Olympia a bit South of you. It RAINS here and you NEED A FRONT FENDER.

It's headin' toward 80 today and should be a great riding day.

Welcome to the XS community.

Thanks guys!

The carb float has been 2nd on my list of root causes and will definitely be checked when I rebuild the carbs. I was thinking it should be a petcock issue since the float shouldn't cause an overflow with the petcock turned off, but this is all new to me so I could very well be wrong :)

Not sure if rebuilding the carb is totally necessary or not but the last ride it seemed a little off, and given that its been overflowing a carb I wouldn't be surprised if that carb has issues after being filled with fuel. $20 well spent even if all I get from it is experience rebuilding the carbs!

The bike actually came with a painted front fender as well, the PO just didn't have it installed for the summer. I will definitely be installing it once it starts raining here, that can't be fun with no fender...

I think I will go ahead and get the Pamco when I do the PMA and capacitor. My hesitation is that I will need a different Pamco if I rephrase and I'd rather not buy it twice. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if I held off on a rebuild until next winter to get some good riding in as is so I might as well do the ignition right now.

You are correct, the carb won't overflow if the petcock isn't feeding it. But it won't overflow if the float is working either You have two problems.

Back