Finally trust my bike

jonasblack

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my 81 xs650 Special about 5 months ago and at first I never trusted her. Now I have been running free on the freeways in Austin and the windy roads of the hill country. my bike has 6k miles on her now, all original, and seems to just be breaking in. I am so impressed with her freeway performance as she does 75 mph with no complaints and I have even pushed her passed 100 I'm sure. Now that I am taking her into the city and main roads as well I have had people speed up just to shout at me how they regret selling their xs haha. Being an XS rider is awesome!!

It is awesome being an XS rider. The XS is an awesome bike. Trusting is a good thing mine has been very reliable and fun to ride. Have fun. :thumbsup:

Good to hear your XS trust factor is up!

I just don't trust Austin traffic. That place is turning into a rolling parking lot.

Or, have I been away too long...

^I didn't notice Austin being so bad. But from Waco to DFW I thought it was worse than back East :eek:

One thing I noticed in Austin that I've never seen anyplace else is that leaving the scene of an accident before the Man can get there seems to be the norm. Saw it three times in three crashes. My neighbor girl got her car demolished on the freeway about a block from her house and the perp just kept on going. For all he knew she was dead. I heard the crash and managed to lead her over behind a barricade until the Man arrived. Left her with a freaky pump knot like an orange stuck to her forehead.

traffic is indeed bad here, but i mainly stay in town and do my best to avoid the interstate, but I have no trouble on the interstate. I just watch my back constantly and make sure that I am in no one's blindspot.

Constant situational awareness, that's good. When I was driving there, I kept a safety gap in front of me. And, just like in Chicago, drivers felt obligated to 'fill that gap'...

Thats awesome!! I ride in Los Angeles, and trusting your bike is Muy Importante!

Sometimes there are years of neglect that have to be sorted through to get to the trusting. Congrats! It's a measure of your competence.

I am learning that the hard way. I am starting to do a complete overhaul, and its probably going to take me a WHILE.

I have been making a habit of not only signaling with my turn signal but also using hand gestures, it really draws attention. People are nuts. When I ride, I suit up. 3/4 with old school goggles and an old heavy interstate jacket. I have learned to let my road rage go on a bike. The cagers will always win.

Back