first 650 build

mechanicScott

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I've decided to build a bike, and recieved the first part - starting with the motor...

complete tear down to see what kind of shape she's in - found a bent exhaust valve and a little wear on the case where the kick start shaft drops in.
all bearings and gears look fine. pistons seem ok, will be doing new rings and all new seals and gaskets. port/ polish the head.

while i have it apart I'm debating getting it rephased or not. ??

also need to get a pma and pamco.

ordering a frame from voodoo vintage - lone wolf, 21" front 19" spoke wheels to build. and need to find a sweet gas tank to fit. disc brakes front and rear. single carb 1 into 2 intake manifold

will post pics and progress.. shooting for MAY 2012 as a finished bike

wear of the case/ kickstart shaft

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 121
If you don't going to run a top mount on the Voodoo frame, you might feel more vibes than with a stock frame and top mount, so a rephase will probably help with reducing the vibes

good to know.. i might have to fab something up to secure that better. kinda depends on the tank/ style i go with. Will the rephase help out much on HP or performance of the motor or is it mainly a reduction in vibration and boost in efficiency?

ya i was thinking about sending both cam and crank to Hughs Hand Built.... about $500
worth it?

Only you can decide that hombre.. I rephased my own crank & am running one of Mrriggs cams - the quality is excellent. Hugh is your man for rephasing your crank if you dont have the resources to do it yourself, comes down to personal choice preference with the cam, Mrriggs is machined & then doweled & bolted together while Hughs is split & has a bush/slug installed & then welded up. Both these guys have a lot of happy customers & I suggest you contact both of them to get further detail before you make your choice. Also do a search in the search function - both these guys have done write-ups on their cams/cranks before.:thumbsup:

thanks! just ordered my tank and working on finding rims to build to my sweet carbon talon hubs - 21" x 2.15 and 19" x 2.5

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 112
update on the build-
crank and cam are off to Hugh's...
Exhaust ordered from Dan @ Pandemonium
Frame being built by David @ Voodoo Vintage
tires ordered, wheels to be built

here's some pics of the motor and parts..

Attachments

• 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 134
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 109
Clutch pressure plate bolt mod - put them in the lathe at work and found some bolts that fit perfectly (don't stick out the back)

Attachments

• 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 100
Back