First attempt at recovering a seat from scratch.

johnnymac

1975 xs650b
Reaction score
Hello- I love this site! Here is my first attempt at recovering my seat for my 1975 xs650b. I got some marine vinyl from the fabric store- cut up my old cover and used it as a template- Had my lovely wife sew it up (i'm so glad I bought her a good sewing machine that could handle the thick material and upolstry thread) and 3 hours later- I'm a very happy man!

Attachments

• seatless.jpg
    seatless.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 231
  • seat.jpg
    seat.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 238
  • oldcarcass.jpg
    oldcarcass.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 247
  • marinevinyl.jpg
    marinevinyl.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 247
  • wifesewn.jpg
    wifesewn.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 261
  • loosefit.jpg
    loosefit.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 258
  • onthebike2.jpg
    onthebike2.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 306
  • onthebike1.jpg
    onthebike1.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 282
  • stretchedtite2.jpg
    stretchedtite2.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 247
  • stretchedtite.jpg
    stretchedtite.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 257
Thanks everyone- I even impressed myself a little this time- This is a little off topic but as I was redoing the seat I thought I would finally deal with the broken document holder- I had some super strong magnets around and I took off the plastic knob and the plastic holder that went into the seat pan. Then I simply stuck a magnet on both sides of the document holder tab- No glue or anything and it handles the xs vibrations perfectly.

Attachments

• supermagnets.jpg
    supermagnets.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 204
  • documentholder.jpg
    documentholder.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 253
Thanks for all the great comments- I would suggest everyone give it a try- Total cost was about $10.00 and I was sure it was going to turn out like crap. It really helped that my wife is great on a sewing machine. This job seemed easy but I think if I wanted to modify the shape or design of the seat, it would have been 100 times harder. Thanks again for the comments- Just a note- the marine vinyl is great because the underside has a durible mesh that really holds well on the diamond shaped tabs on the pan.

A big thumbs up to your wife too, then. She definitely deserves it. Ten bucks, that's awesome!

Thanks, JAGUARGOD! Never take me too seriously! I certainly don't...

Yeah- xstom- I needed about 1/2 in. border where all the pieces attached together so that they could be sewn together (turn a pair of jeans inside out and look at the seam down the leg- This makes a nice looking, durable seam.) I left about 1 in. on the bottom pieces because they needed to be folded once for extra strength.

Hey Danno- thanks for liking the seat, but I was lucky just getting this one done- It was hard on the wifes machine and I kind of persuaded her to push past some pretty knarly sounds coming from the old singer. I talked to the local upolstry guy here in town- Sonoma, Ca. and he had said he wouldn't have charged me very much to do it if mine didn't turn out very well.

Back