First Bike, Wont Shift

andydunks

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi, So I have always wanted an old XS and I finally found one. It is a 73 xs650. It has been customized, hard tail, guy changed the charging system, blah blah, basically the guy made it a bobber. Some of the work was good, some of it was....amateur. I picked it up for 900 figuring that there are enough parts worth selling that I could get my money back and some if it wasnt my thing. He needed cash and was selling it for 1500, I got it for 900. The guy said he was driving it one day and the shift lever snapped. He gave me the pieces and said other than that and the charging system being ripped of it was fine. So I wanted to start it up and here her pur So I jacked up the rear tire, held the clutch in, put vice grips on around the broken nub of the lever and couldnt shift it, eventually I got it started in whatever gear it was but it was short lived. I tried rocking the tire back and forth but that didnt help. Even with the clutch fully depressed it is hard to roll the bike around but idk if that is the issue. Always worked on cars but not on bikes, can anyone give me a lesson as to what could be wrong?

Welcome to the forum, Andydunks. Man, when it rains, it pours. You're in the same boat as member mistercartoon here:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36233

You'll need a manual, find downloadable links in the "tech" section. You'll probably be pulling at least both the left and right engine covers, including the clutch and shiftshaft. There may be damage to the shiftshaft, like from a loose chain grinding on it, so its removal may be difficult...

Thanks for the reply, yeah, I will start with the left side cover (No oil correct?) I'm trying to figure out if the clutch needs to be adjusted the cable was loose when I got it, I tightened it up and it feels like it engages some but is still very hard to wheel aroun. Don't know much about bikes so this is a learning process.

Kinda like being tossed into the deep end of the pool to learn to swim.
The most successful approach here would be to:

Acquire and read all appropriate manuals and parts diagrams.

Disassemble and examine one section at a time, following the manuals.

We're good at answering questions about smaller/single issues, but long and involved detailed step-by-step instructions for multiple complicated procedures can be challenging and beyond the scope of this forum.

Learn the lingo, and watch out for auto correct (that thing can be hilarious).

Post crisp/clear pics of a problem area (extremely useful, there's many trained eyes here).

Use the forum tech section and search tools. This place is enormous!

Gday andy, i am battling the same issue right now, had gear selection, now nothing.ive found there is a round chrome cover on the left hand case with a nut & screw within the nut...this must be adjusted correctly for clutch 2 operate well. Generally speaking the screw should be flush with the nut (a good place to strat from).
This is the adjustor for the 'twist' mechanism that pushes a clutch rod that goes right through to the other side of the case & engages the gear selector itself. what im harping on about is there must be 2 TWO ball bearings in that system for proper spacing & engagment...REALLY worth the effort looking to see if one has been 'misplaced'.
its really not a complicated thing but saying that i cant sovle my issue here...lol cheers

Thank you so much mistercartoon I loosened the nut today out to the edge of the screw and the clutch seems to engage and I can roll my bike, didnt have much time to mess around with it but I could move through the gears it seems like, have to find neutral. I just looked at your thread and interestingly enough I think my issue is related to yours. The previous owner broke the shift linkage and got it home, there was a noise from the engine, he found out it was his pamco magneto and he took it out. Im guessing he just put the case back on and something is maladjusted. I am ordering the Clymer manual tonight but I was wondering how to go about putting all of that back in. I believe it will need to be rebuilt.

Back