First build '79 Special

mgjaynes

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Michael here from Memphis. I've posted an introductory thread here somewhere, and I finally just started working on this thing. I picked this up from a friend for free! It has been in his garage for about 5 years.

This is how it looked in my friend's garage. Dirty, missing some parts, and leaking a little oil.

79xs650.JPG

My friend did not have a key, and the ignition switch was shot anyways, so this was all I had in my toolbox for the time being. I just want it running and will make it pretty later.

switch.JPG

I did some scrubbing, and the damn thing doesn't look bad at all.

IMGP6191.JPG

The petcocks leaked like sieves, but the motor turned over smoothly. I ordered new petcocks, a set of drag bars, some miscellaneous bolts and nuts that were missing.

I got it to fire up, but it won't run long. Cranks and runs for a few seconds and dies. I don't think I did a thorough enough job cleaning the jets. I didn't actually pull them out; I just sprayed them while they were installed. One of the floats had a hole in it. I replaced that. I am planning on getting those jets squeaky clean this weekend and giving it another shot.

Thanks to all the knowledge already posted here on these bikes. It has already come in handy.

Like I said, my first and foremost goal is to get it running. Once I get that done, I will worry about where I am going with it. My fabrication skills are definitely lacking compared what I've seen of some of you guys' build threads!

I am planning on keeping this as stock as possible with a few customizations and modifications to suit my taste. I can't wait to get to that stage of this project!

Last edited:
Beside cleaning the jets, you will need to clean all of the passages leading to and from them. Here is some good reading for you.

http://www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf

And don't forget to look at the Tech section of the forum. Good luck.

I think I have read every article in the tech section -- thank you. And I came across that PDF on here somewhere. I have read it a few times and have it saved for reference.

I figured since I know I can get it running after I work on the carbs, I'd go ahead and get started repainting the tank. You can't tell from the picture I previously posted, but the paint is cracked horribly. It looks awful.

Let me start off by saying I do not own any fancy equipment, nor do any of my friends. This is also my first build.Being the only income in a house with a wife and 2 kids, this bike is going to get done on as little $$ as possible.

So I needed to strip the paint off. I tried sanding at first.

IMG_2361.JPG

This sucks. I found some paint stripper in my shop and figured I'd give that a whirl. Poured it on, let it sit for 10 minutes, and scraped with a wire brush. The paint is coming off! I think 2 more treatments like this, and I'll be in business.

IMG_2362.JPG

It's getting dark now, so I had to give it up for the night. Damn you guys with garages!

Now I need to decide on color. For some reason either a dark royal blue or a grey is sticking out to me. This will be a rattle can treatment, wet sanded, and a coat or two of clear coat. (Sticking with the shoestring budget)

Tomorrow is my youngest's 5th birthday, so I won't get to get into those carbs. Sunday it is! I need to stock up on beer now to be ready.

I got the tank painted. For some reason the last coat cracked on me down by the mount nearest the seat. It isn't bad, and it is hardly noticeable. But that sucks. The rest of it turned out so perfectly. Oh well -- it was a $6 rattle-can paint job...

I am back to working on the carbs. The carb pictured on the right is still flooding on me. I've deveded that the float needle and seat need to be replaced. Also, the carb on the left has what looks like brand new jets. They are shiny as hell. The right carb's jets are really bad looking, and someone mangled the slots on them. So, I ordered two rebuild kits from MikesXS. I figured if I am going to do one, I might as well do them both for peace of mind. Can anyone tell me if the white spots on the inside of the right carb are anything I should be worried about getting off? I am talking about the round housing around the slide needle.

carbs.JPG

Those are the needle jets and yes need to be clean. Especially the little holes on the sides. Those carbs look pretty nasty. You should take them apart and clean the crap out of them.

Those are the needle jets and yes need to be clean. Especially the little holes on the sides. Those carbs look pretty nasty. You should take them apart and clean the crap out of them.

Thanks. I think I'll totally disassemble everything and get everything clean while I wait on the rebuiild kits. I've only ever bought spray carb cleaner. You know of anything I can just soak these parts in? I am going by the auto parts store today to see.

That's all I use is a can of spray carb cleaner and compressed air. Nylon brush if necessary. If you don't have a compressor you can buy a can of compressed air. Don't dip them unless you plan to replace the rubber bits.
You may want to search the forum about the rebuild kits. I hear some parts aren't very good.

Back