First build thread

raneske84

XS650 Member
Reaction score
This is my '79 xs 650 the way I bought it. The engine and all other parts are in crates.

Attachments

• 20180806_112947.jpg
    20180806_112947.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 125
This is my '79 xs 650 the way I bought it. The engine and all other parts are in crates.

Hi raneske and welcome,
so, what style of XS650 you gonna build out of your pile of parts, eh?
Edit:- Just seen your post #2.
That seat & the added crosstube that blocks the rear brake M/C mount just gotta go.
I hope you got an angle grinder and a welder. Endedit.

Last edited:
I got my hardtail welded on and this is a David Bird hardtail, it is stretched 4" and dropped 3". My wheels have been sandblasted and painted black with vintage tires on them.

Attachments

• 20190220_151621.jpg
    20190220_151621.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 114
Hi Fredintoon, i really like the look of Pandemoniums Hanky Panky bike so im going for a look like that. I have a peanut frisco mount tank so it will sit high, i got my smooth line seat, and next is a rear fender, then engine work. All I want to do is a PMA swap and new ignition but I have no idea what ignition to go with. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Hi Fredintoon, i really like the look of Pandemoniums Hanky Panky bike so im going for a look like that. I have a peanut frisco mount tank so it will sit high, i got my smooth line seat, and next is a rear fender, then engine work. All I want to do is a PMA swap and new ignition but I have no idea what ignition to go with. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Hi raneske,
another masochistic hardtail eh? Ah well.
Note that XS650 forks go all wobbly if they don't have either a fork brace or a stock fender to keep 'em stiff.
DON"T drink the PMA/Capacitor koolade.
Despite what the PMA sellers tell you, It ain't an upgrade at all, quite the reverse.
Stock alternator + battery works WAY better and the aftermarket ignition of your choice will be happier running on a battery's smoother DC.

Just a heads up. There is alot of good knowledgeable people here. But you wont get alot of love on your bike after you hardtailed that bike. Just my observations and .02. but Keep up the work looks like a fun build.

Geez that's harsh.............you have had nothing but love..........some of the best minds have given great information with specs and info relating to cams and more with your motor, and never has there been one negative comment on what you have done to the bike...............

Maybe you have been reading the negative comments about members on here form some of the Chopper crowd from the chopper sites and its got into our head.........Reread your threads

Just a heads up. There is alot of good knowledgeable people here. But you wont get alot of love on your bike after you hardtailed that bike. Just my observations and .02. but Keep up the work looks like a fun build.
Yeah... I'd have to disagree with that. You'll get some ribbing... most of it good natured. But a well made bike will get admiration, whichever fork in the road you take.

Not a fan of hardtails.... but I am following several hardtail builds because I like the work the builder is doing.

Jim, I went back through the threads and there hasn't been any ribbing at all , good nature or bad, just none..........If Fact Grizd1 has posted more in depth knowledge in a couple of the threads than he has in 100, (may be some exaggeration), other threads.....Hooser with his cam knowledge that are some of the best tidbits on Shell #1 cams...........

Oh well can't please em all..........

Thanks ill keep posting my progress, I sanded and painted my triple trees gloss black, and they came out looking like they were powder coated. I have started shaving and polishing the forks too but i think im going to paint them gloss black or have them powder coated.

Avoid the peanut tank.. it's been done..well done and done over... Some hardtails can be eye appeal'n… if properly balanced. Visually…

Yea after i put the tank on the backbone it looked big for it but I think for now im gonna go with it and then after this season get a narrow tank.
Hey raneske, welcome. I personally like the look of the oversized tanks on hardtails, but that’s just me. Especially with minimal rake and a non-oversized tire. Again, just my 2 pennies. Looking forward to see how this thing comes together :cheers:

My front sits high but i think thats mainly because of the front tire it looks like a vintage type Firestone. Its brand new and came with it on the bike, same with the rear so right now im more concerned with getting all my other gear for it. I got an order from low brow yesterday with my seat mounts and springs but the springs dont fit on the mounts. The only way they will fit is if i open the ends of the springs and i didnt want to do that. Ill post pics of it later. I could definately use some help with an ignition system. I want to keep the stock charging system for now if possible and upgrade the ignition.

“Just a heads up. There is alot of good knowledgeable people here. But you wont get alot of love on your bike after you hardtailed that bike. Just my observations and .02. but Keep up the work looks like a fun build.“

I think he deleted his comment but I recently hartailed a 650 into a bobber on here. Guys who were mostly into restorations knew it, they gave me solid advice when I needed it, and complimented me on my bike when it was finished. At least that’s been my experience on here. As long as you show a passion to learn, most guys will dig what you’re doing. And if someone doesn’t approve, who cares...it’s not their bike.

My front sits high but i think thats mainly because of the front tire it looks like a vintage type Firestone. Its brand new and came with it on the bike, same with the rear so right now im more concerned with getting all my other gear for it. I got an order from low brow yesterday with my seat mounts and springs but the springs dont fit on the mounts. The only way they will fit is if i open the ends of the springs and i didnt want to do that. Ill post pics of it later. I could definately use some help with an ignition system. I want to keep the stock charging system for now if possible and upgrade the ignition.

Hi raneske,
I'd check the manufacturers dates on those tires before I rode on 'em.
A new tire grips good once the mold release compound has worn off BUT a tire that just looks new but was made years ago, not so much.
Bought my son a 1980 XS650 Special a while back. Bike's mileage was only ~5,000 KM and it still had it's original factory tires on.
Those tires held air, looked perfect and were as hard as wood. Scared myself shitless riding it home in the rain.
Told my son:-
"The bike is real nice but the tires gotta go"
"But they look perfect"
"Try it round the block"
"These tires gotta GO!"
Seat mounts and springs from the same source and they don't fit together? Ask if they effed-up your order or what?
While other aftermarket ignitions are available, I'd go for the E-advance Pamco because it lets you remove the stock mechanical advancer.

Back