First Gold Leafing attempt -- Some bike pics too. "The Bogan Brat"

SPUd

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Since my bike is basically ready to go, this is all I am going to do for the summer. Here are some pics of my first attempts at gold leafing. Wanting to get decent at it for the winter when I strip the tins down for proper paint.

Been just over 12 months to get to this point, as I am such a lazy ass.

20140705_225651_zps4yh8lnlx.jpg

20140705_225644_zpskttj0bs3.jpg

20140705_225630_zpswbciawnj.jpg

20140705_225554_zpstknhkiod.jpg

FB_IMG_1404531364120_zpsnxksxl5z.jpg

20140704_130431_zps0tblln8e.jpg

20140704_130424_zpseuwerucd.jpg

20140704_130416_zpsigx3rqyk.jpg

20140704_130408_zpsimryrjzp.jpg

20140704_130352_zps9j1c3xjt.jpg

IMG-20140704-WA0005_zpsloxendg6.jpg

Anyone who has done leafing before have any input, suggestions, critique?

Cheers,

Ryan

I myself have never done any leafing so any input I have would not beneficial as I don't know shite on the subject. It would have been nice to see what it looked like on the bike to give it a little perspective. I know sometimes paint can look good on the bench but once put on the bike it can just look a little off. :shrug:

I don't know much about it, either. But, I did see a 'Crafty Old Ladies' PBS program a few years ago, doing some goldleaf projects. They would apply adhesive with a stencil, then lay the leaf over it, then either daub it or brush it on with a soft bristle brush. It could cover intricate reliefs, like wood carvings.

Don't know what kind of clear coat would work with that...

No comment.

:wink2:

Looks good, yeah lets see it on the bike!

You riding it yet?
Two thumbs up on good front brakes too.

the leafing kit comes with a can of clear. i tested it on the paint (seeing it is just cheap spraybomb gloss black), and it didnt negatively impact it.

ill hopefully have the tank back on and be on the road later this week.

just have to deal with the typical clutch binding issues you get when the bike sits for a year.

i appreciate whatever comments and criticisms you all have in general on the bike, not just the leafing

- - - i appreciate whatever comments and criticisms you all have in general on the bike, not just the leafing

Hi Spud,
all I know about gold leaf application is what a perfectionist Vincent owner once told me; that one should first paint the gold leaf area with Chinese red lacquer to bring out the gold's richness.
But you did ask about the bike:-
Never mind how it's paint looks, that gas tank is too effin' small.
At least you kept the rear suspension.
If you are only 5 foot tall and your knuckles reach down to your knees it could even be comfortable to ride.
Put the front fender back on &/or fit a fork brace to keep the teles from wobbling.
And you'll never pick up chicks without a place to put one.

Like everyone else, I have never tried it. If I had payed for it to be done I would not be satisfied with the masking job done before hand. The stars are inconsistent and the edges are not crisp. Also most leafing I have seen is swirled so that the texture looks purposeful. Maybe after pin striping and clear coat it will look better. Like any art, it takes practice so keep practicing.

Awesome, this is the kind of feedback I was after.

I would have left stars out otherwise looks good.

Thats just the 'southern cross', its an Australian thing. I have one on all my vehicles. It's just a reminder of home. Hence why the bike is 'bogan'. Also, these are all just tests to see how the leaf applies, and how easy it is to work with. It will all be stripped off in the winter, and the proper paint scheme will be done then. This is all a technique test.

Hi Spud,
all I know about gold leaf application is what a perfectionist Vincent owner once told me; that one should first paint the gold leaf area with Chinese red lacquer to bring out the gold's richness.
But you did ask about the bike:-
Never mind how it's paint looks, that gas tank is too effin' small.
At least you kept the rear suspension.
If you are only 5 foot tall and your knuckles reach down to your knees it could even be comfortable to ride.
Put the front fender back on &/or fit a fork brace to keep the teles from wobbling.
And you'll never pick up chicks without a place to put one.

Interesting on the red lacquer. Ill have to look into that more. Ha, this is a town bike, and ill have spare fuel bottles with me. Will definitely get a fork brace eventually. Rear suspension is basically for looks only, it doesnt compress at all. It is more comfortable than it may look. Ill post rolling shots once its on the road for good.

EDIT: Also, im married, and she hates bikes, so I can have a single seat bike and not care. lol

Like everyone else, I have never tried it. If I had payed for it to be done I would not be satisfied with the masking job done before hand. The stars are inconsistent and the edges are not crisp. Also most leafing I have seen is swirled so that the texture looks purposeful. Maybe after pin striping and clear coat it will look better. Like any art, it takes practice so keep practicing.

I drew the stars on, and hand painted the size without any masking, hence the unevenness. I agree they should be sharper. Not sure what you mean about them being inconsistent. The stars are placed and sized exactly how they should be, if you look at the southern cross on our flag. :). Its just how they are.

I didnt do the texture knurling on these tests, as I didnt get my velvet tool made in time. It's definitely something I will try on my next attempt though.

Last edited:
What I meant by inconsistent is that the points come off at slightly different angles and some points are more obtuse. Stars are difficult like that. I would probably print them out and exacto some stencils.

ah, its just my shitty painting of the size. I used a tempate to rough in the stars. Its the fact I didnt mask them off that caused the issues you note. I agree totally with you btw as well.

ha, thanks. The thick scallop I used proper line tape, hence why it is so much sharper than the rest. The other side scallop, I purposefully made it all chopped like it is.

Back