first oil change

uknowme2goog

XS650,1980, Bobber
Reaction score
first oil change, so i have a question, after the oil filter is removed and cleaned..i reinstalled the oil filter and tighren the bolt....what is the postion of the screw of the oil bypass...should the screw be all the way down inside the filter or fshould the screw head be flush with the filter locking bolt?

It should be flush with the top of the filter mounting bolt. You made no mention of the other filter, the one mounted to the little oil pan on the bottom of the motor. That one really needs to be checked because it has a tendency to grow holes. It may need repair or replacing. I used to buy new ones but since they blow out too, I just repair the old ones now with JB Weld.

any bits of plastic or rubber in the oil?

i couldn't believe the amount of shit in my oil when i drained it

The front drain plug is mounted on a little oil pan. The other filter is mounted on top of that pan. You have to pull the pan off to inspect the filter. Here's a torn one along with several I repaired .....

SumpFilters.jpg

the side mounted oil filter had a few small copper shavings and a few small steal shavings..i cleaned the filter with a can of compressed air and it looked like new. Hmmmmm... drop the oil pan...maybe next time... few questions...how many filters are in there, are the filters reuseable and do you have to replace the gasket on the oil pan?

There are only 2 filters, that little one on the side you cleaned and the larger one on the bottom you didn't. You don't usually replace them because they're metal screen, you just clean them. Many do replace the bottom one because it has holes in it but as I said, I just repair them now.

You probably will need a new gasket for that bottom oil pan. After that, you can probably re-use it up to near half a dozen times, until it starts to leak - then replace it again. I start with new gaskets on that little side filter as well. There's 2 there, one under the filter and one for the cover. They seem to last a long, long time. Mine have been in use several years, put through multiple oil changes, and are still sealing fine. I needed to replace the bottom one once so far.

He said JB Weld. My p.o. fixed mine with what looks like the liquid part of a fiberglass car body repair kit. Looks strong.

JB Weld works well. Any oil proof epoxy will work as well. Just besure the filter is very clean.
Is the fiberglass resin oilproof? If so it should work just fine.

Back