first ride

peanuts

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Any ideas on fine tuning my carbs at idle. They seams to cut out after the engine idles for a while even though it revs and pulls when i want to. Is the mixture setting three turns out or so..

The mix screw setting depends on what carb set you have, among other things. Mods and re-jetting may change what setting is needed. Start at the factory setting for your carb set and fine tune from there to find the best spot.

Start out with new plugs and if they're still mostly white after 15 miles or so, the carb isn't rich enough to make it idle rough and die. If it's ok with new plugs but after they get a little use on them it dies, but the plugs don't look fouled, then it's a weak coil.

Three turns out is what they say around the web, at least for the BS34 carbs. But it depends where the float is set. Mine still has the factory screw setting, I think, and I can take it from sloppy rich to won't start lean, just with the floats. I recently had some trouble with mine, and at the moment it's stock everything with the floats at 21 1/2mm. No one who rode it or saw the plugs would call it lean - with factory setting - except possibly the float. Not sure where the float was at from the factory :)

Back