First rides on xs. Need help

nlovern

possom man
Reaction score
Hi,
Nathan here. been rideing my 82 XS650 some this week im off and mostly with my wife. Ive asked before about the weirht of my wife n me together and some guys said its at the edge of the power for the xs to carry us both.
Well i feel No power problems. With us both in 5th it will pull hard and throw me back on level road. Power seems fine.
problems. Several times today the bike seemd to jerk hard and buck in several different gears. jerk so hard the chain adjuster bolt bent and the adjuster fliped down and the chain almost came off. i fixed it and came home with chain tight and it still jerked a few times.
It didnt do it with just me rideing. Im 175 and my wife is 210.
It seems that first gear has a high ratio. I have to slip the clutch a little to pull out and the bike will jutter a few seconds when pulling out with just me and with my wife. Hills worried me starting out.
One other problem. Gas milge. I filled it up and it hit reserve at 65 miles.:wtf:
I thought the xs650 got good milage. Motor doesnt smoke of any kind like a rich mixture. Just wondering.
Dont mean to write so much.just trying to get all the details in.
Motor wise. It has no leakes anywhere!!! not even around the clutchpushrod. I can barely hear a valve peck at all. Seems to run fine. Milage on this motor is unknown. It was a spare that came with the bike. The other motor had a bad first gear in it.
Hope someone can help me.
Thanks

Your transmission is shot-sounds like it's jumping out of gear. You can pull the clutch basket and see if the shift pawl is intact and adjusted. Its the hook that moves the shift drum. I assume your chain/sprockets aren't bad enough for the chain to be slipping-you would know that, right?

It should get 40-50 mpg running well.

John

Your transmission is shot-sounds like it's jumping out of gear. You can pull the clutch basket and see if the shift pawl is intact and adjusted. Its the hook that moves the shift drum. I assume your chain/sprockets aren't bad enough for the chain to be slipping-you would know that, right?

It should get 40-50 mpg running well.

John

It has new chain n sprockets. Im gonna ride more thursday by my self. I hope its not the tranny. Thats whats wrong with the original motor.
Gonna check MPG when i ride by myself on thursday.

If your bike has a stock tank, it holds 2.9. Abit over 2 gallons then the rest as reserve. If you only get 65 miles on a tank that means you are getting a bit over 30 mpg. You have carb problems. Either set up wrong or leaking.
I have 750 kitted 75 with pods and straight through mufflers, BS34 carbs off an 82 and get better than 50 mpg.
Check your carbs.
Leo

Back