First time builder here, looking for some insight.

projectxs650

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I'm just looking for some input on this one.

I'm in the process of building my own xs650. Gathering parts off ebay, craiglist etc...Only have a few left before i have everything.

Now i started this project excited to have a bike by summer, after not having one for a few seasons. I've worked on bikes, but never so much as to completely build one from the ground up.

Idk if this is me, but i'm kind of at that point now where i'm concerned over assembling everything. Thankfully I have a engine that is complete, and was fully running when it was taken out. But from there, everything is in pieces and needed to be hooked up. I know the main parts that i need, but not so much the smaller things.

I don't want to say i'm overwhelmed, because i haven't actually started the initial process. But i'm wondering how hard it was for those who have built bikes for the first time? did you feel like your getting in over your head? was it too tough?

When i'm done, i plan to take it to a shop and have them do a full inspections to make sure everything is right, and more importantly safe.

Those first time builders, did you feel anxiety? what are your thoughts? and do you guys have any tips,tricks or hints that might be helpful for someone in my shoes?

Grab your balls, Hold your breath and jump in.

I dunno, I just did it. The only time that I felt like I was out of my element was whenever I was doing the wiring. I HATE WIRING. Some of it you learn through example and description, but a good portion of it is trial by fire. Just do it!

I dont remember my first time......yeah , I'm that old. My problem is I am not afraid to jump in.....and I do get in some crap. Dune buggies , Harleys, Hondas , VWs...houses. too many projects....!!!! Just have fun and learn as you go....and ask the dumb questions anyway......

The engine is the only hard part on the whole XS650 You might have to do and redo a few things as you figure it out but as long as you leave the assembly hammer on the peg board no worries. Enjoy, and I am betting you will.

i've always worked on my own bikes and cars...i just finished my first build a few weeks ago and have taken it out a few times...not gonna lie it is kinda nerve racking thinking i'm going down the road at 50 + mph on something i built from the ground up wondering if i forgot to tighten or check something..lol even though i know i tightened and re tightened everything... but than again i've jumped on previous bikes and gone 100 + not even thinking about who worked on it before me..just take your time & have fun during final assembly check, triple check all your work and you'll be fine...

oh yea, i will be going completely through my bike again fairly soon to make sure nothing has loosened up..lol

One piece at a time. Do lots of reading here and other sites, and you'll sort your way through it. The wiring didn't scare me, but I consider that one of my stronger suits. An engine tear down will likely be in the cards for me next winter, and I've never done that before, but I'm sure I'll muddle my way through it.

Kent

Thanks for all the encouraging words guys, i'll definetly be making a thread when i start the process!

Back