First time rebuild shopping list

luckynumber0

In Over His Head
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So the cam chain guide on my '82 is toast, but I'm really looking forward to diving in. I've saved up enough scratch to put some cash into the rebuild with my budget at a firm 700. Although I'm going to upgrade a few things (5th gear overdrive, one piece push rod), mostly I'm interested in making this engine like new, which means I'm going through all of it. I recognize you can't buy everything you think you may need before you get into the engine and take measurements/inspect, but I wanted to put my shopping cart of advance, pre-teardown purchases up for peer review.

These are from mikes:
gaskets:
Athena Premium Overhaul Gasket Set
Engine Oil Seal Kit-(10/pc) OEM Japan
Headpipe Gaskets (Pk./2)
Top End Copper sealing Washer Kit-9pc
Bottom End Copper Washer Kit - 13pc.
replacement parts (known):
Front Cam Chain Guide
Cam Chain- DID 219FTssx106
Rivet Link-DID 219FTss (74-84 650's)
Starter Gear Repair Kit - Fits 72-84
upgrades:
Clutch Pushrod - Long one piece type
XS Performance Overdrive Gear 0.979in or 24.82 mm

This brings me to $354. I wanted to leave room in my budget for rings and/or machining and the subsequent oversize pistons if need be, also any other fubars I might find. Also, I'll need an engine stand, wrist pin puller, rotor tool, and clutch wrench/holder thingy. The only specialty tool I do have is a valve spring compressor, thankfully.

How's that list to start out with? Anything I've overlooked that will *definitely* need replacing?

My goal for this engine is to have something reliable by replacing old components with new, good ones, but if anyone has any suggestions for "must-do" upgrades I'm open to them (besides rephasing - I think I'd rather spend the money on good components at the moment). Also if you see any components I listed that are cheaper or better somewhere else, definitely let me know!

Build thread to follow!

Thanks,
Lucky.

Last edited:
I've found better deals on ebay for gaskets. Even with shipping.

Might as well do the clutch pushrod bushing, too. Also, peen-over lockwasher(s).

Leave a reserve for consumables, cleaning, brushing, gasket cutters, paint, sealants, prelube/greases, rags, ...etc.

The large hi-torque nuts (clutch, sprocket, primary) are a challenge, requiring tools and tricks. In the shop, these were easily handled with pneumatics, which come in handy for many other tasks...

May be able to save some money on the Bendix gear.

A couple of links. Take note of XSjohn

3, some more info here, scroll down

You don't need the exhaust gaskets, they're included in the complete kit (unless you just want a spare set). I've always just re-used the copper washers with no problems so I'd say you don't need those two kits. You don't need the cam chain link, one comes with the chain.

You can save on a cam chain as well if you know what you're looking for. eBay is full of Tsubaki chains in the $25 to $40 range. You will need to get a master link separate but Mikes has that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tsubaki-BF0...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a92a86a4e&vxp=mtr

If you want to use an engine stand, by all means go ahead, but you don't need an engine stand. After the bottom sump plate is taken off, the engine will sit very nicely on a piece of 2X4. You can also roll the engine forward on its nose as needed. That's how I did a top end overhaul, and it worked great.

The pic shows my engine sitting on its nose. A good work bench is all you need.

There's no need for a wrist pin puller. Also no need for a piston ring installation tool.

Make sure you have a good quality torque wrench, and a manual impact tool.

Attachments

• Cyl  Piston install R1.JPG
    Cyl Piston install R1.JPG
    228.1 KB · Views: 302
Hey guys,

So the cam chain guide on my '82 is toast, but I'm really looking forward to diving in. I've saved up enough scratch to put some cash into the rebuild with my budget at a firm 700. Although I'm going to upgrade a few things (5th gear overdrive, one piece push rod), mostly I'm interested in making this engine like new, which means I'm going through all of it. I recognize you can't buy everything you think you may need before you get into the engine and take measurements/inspect, but I wanted to put my shopping cart of advance, pre-teardown purchases up for peer review.

These are from mikes:
gaskets:
Athena Premium Overhaul Gasket Set
Engine Oil Seal Kit-(10/pc) OEM Japan
Headpipe Gaskets (Pk./2)
Top End Copper sealing Washer Kit-9pc
Bottom End Copper Washer Kit - 13pc.
replacement parts (known):
Front Cam Chain Guide
Cam Chain- DID 219FTssx106
Rivet Link-DID 219FTss (74-84 650's)
Starter Gear Repair Kit - Fits 72-84
upgrades:
Clutch Pushrod - Long one piece type
XS Performance Overdrive Gear 0.979in or 24.82 mm

This brings me to $354. I wanted to leave room in my budget for rings and/or machining and the subsequent oversize pistons if need be, also any other fubars I might find. Also, I'll need an engine stand, wrist pin puller, rotor tool, and clutch wrench/holder thingy. The only specialty tool I do have is a valve spring compressor, thankfully.

How's that list to start out with? Anything I've overlooked that will *definitely* need replacing?

My goal for this engine is to have something reliable by replacing old components with new, good ones, but if anyone has any suggestions for "must-do" upgrades I'm open to them (besides rephasing - I think I'd rather spend the money on good components at the moment). Also if you see any components I listed that are cheaper or better somewhere else, definitely let me know!

Build thread to follow!

Thanks,
Lucky.
if you want a cheap trick for performance improvement try porting and polishing and take about 1-2 thousands off the head to make sure it is nice and flat

Back