First time rehab of a 1976ish basket case

Should I cut down front fender or leave it?

• Total voters
nice i would expect those readings thats what mine was 1981 special II if its not smoking use it until you have to rebuild the engine would advise electronic ignition and advacer saves lots of issues in the long run Pamco do a combined one now get a decent battery and keep it charged i use oxford oximiser on all my bikes ..
All the best
Funky

nice i would expect those readings thats what mine was 1981 special II if its not smoking use it until you have to rebuild the engine would advise electronic ignition and advacer saves lots of issues in the long run Pamco do a combined one now get a decent battery and keep it charged i use oxford oximiser on all my bikes ..
All the best
Funky
Thanks funky! I might have a LITTLE smoke here and there, but haven’t even done a head retorque or valve adjustment yet so I’ll cross that bridge when I’m done rewiring. As for the Pamco/e-advance system goes, i do like the logic of reliability behind it, but I’m a caveman when it comes to tech and prefer the simplicity of the points system for now. With that being said, if it starts to really act up I’ll just end up clubbing the whole system to death and going electronic anyway!

Pamcos are not complicated two to three wires ATU out pretty simple give a better power band horses for courses as we say in the UK good effort keep up the good work like your style of bike ..
All the best Funky

Made a bunch of progress today, finished routing and got everything nice and tidy in some braided split loom. Still waiting to hook up tail/brake until I fab up a rear fender for it to mount to, but components and switches have been tested. Here’s a before and after! Oh, and the shitty electrical tape is coming off once I get some better stuff
ADCF73B1-FF35-4ADC-86E9-0C0B5CFE6186.jpeg
AC62A05F-FDFF-418B-9ADF-9C33F0B1784F.jpeg
D7170472-91E6-47B5-B590-9FA63E2BEEF6.jpeg
EAE8549E-AD8A-4ADF-9D15-C6E250DE919E.jpeg
I also got my new emgo fuel line and visu-filters in and installed. I’ve got about 23 more feet of fuel line I might put up for the price of postage in the classifieds, give or take a few feet. Oh and before anyone gives me shit about the Chinese pleated cones, my fresh uni foam will be here tomorrow!
65A740D7-05C7-4CC9-93BE-329058943D22.jpeg
Mailman, I loosely followed your trick to adding a ground wire to the controls, but I went thru the right side control and passed it through a hole drilled in the ground contact plate, held in place using the existing bolt.
DE9FB823-6BBC-462C-BE00-337239C37118.jpeg
My headlight has been in a box since I started tear down, and I was looking at mike’s h4 conversion kits today at work. I decided to look back and see what state my light was in, and lo and behold! Just saved a few bucks there
E7BC6ACB-88F6-4829-930A-2465CE244A2F.jpeg
ill begin fabbing up my new rear fender this sunday. The tail/brake and plate holder will mount to it, and it will also create a small space under the seat to hide rear-end wires (and maybe some tool storage) and will be held in place by some knurled nobs to bolts running down from the seat pan. It’s almost tune’o’clock and who knows, maybe some day itll see the inside of a Walmart rattle can :shrug:

Attachments

• 860C7C0D-B3CB-4C36-AA9F-48600104CC5D.jpeg
    860C7C0D-B3CB-4C36-AA9F-48600104CC5D.jpeg
    209.7 KB · Views: 162
Made a bunch of progress today, finished routing and got everything nice and tidy in some braided split loom. Still waiting to hook up tail/brake until I fab up a rear fender for it to mount to, but components and switches have been tested. Here’s a before and after! Oh, and the shitty electrical tape is coming off once I get some better stuff View attachment 137147View attachment 137148 View attachment 137149View attachment 137156I also got my new emgo fuel line and visu-filters in and installed. I’ve got about 23 more feet of fuel line I might put up for the price of postage in the classifieds, give or take a few feet. Oh and before anyone gives me shit about the Chinese pleated cones, my fresh uni foam will be here tomorrow!View attachment 137151Mailman, I loosely followed your trick to adding a ground wire to the controls, but I went thru the right side control and passed it through a hole drilled in the ground contact plate, held in place using the existing bolt.View attachment 137155My headlight has been in a box since I started tear down, and I was looking at mike’s h4 conversion kits today at work. I decided to look back and see what state my light was in, and lo and behold! Just saved a few bucks thereView attachment 137152ill begin fabbing up my new rear fender this sunday. The tail/brake and plate holder will mount to it, and it will also create a small space under the seat to hide rear-end wires (and maybe some tool storage) and will be held in place by some knurled nobs to bolts running down from the seat pan. It’s almost tune’o’clock and who knows, maybe some day itll see the inside of a Walmart rattle can :shrug:

Nice progress, Greasy !

I also use clear fuel line and those clear 90 degree filters; like seeing the fuel trickle in when I switch the petcock position.
Years ago I switched to non-ethanol hi-test for all my vehicles, as the other sh-t plays havoc with these fuel line parts.

Nice progress, Greasy !

I also use clear fuel line and those clear 90 degree filters; like seeing the fuel trickle in when I switch the petcock position.
Years ago I switched to non-ethanol hi-test for all my vehicles, as the other sh-t plays havoc with these fuel line parts.
Thanks dude! I’ll be stopping to pick up some 93 to tune with, since that’s what she’ll be running

Last edited:
That split loom cover on the plug wires may not hold up to the engine heat, it may melt. If you want to protect parts of them, retrieve the protection sleeve from an old stock plug wire .....

MqskhcK.jpg
Yeahh I would have never done that myself but the bike came with them. Kinda surprised they’re not melted already! Those plugs wires are shot but my buddy has a set of brand new ones, not sure of specs or even what to check for or how, in terms of resistance. But I’ll see him over the weekend and scoop me up, hopefully save a few bucks

You don't want resistor wires, just plain copper wire core ones.

WR31ZYy.jpg

For resistance in the system, use 5K ohm NGK plug caps. Get the "F" type .....

CfYZoPi.jpg

You don't want resistor wires, just plain copper wire core ones.

WR31ZYy.jpg

For resistance in the system, use 5K ohm NGK plug caps. Get the "F" type .....

CfYZoPi.jpg

Buy it by the foot at your corner autoparts store.
Thanks fellas. Provided these free wire/cap combos I get have a 5k ohm reading on the multimeter, they should be ok to use right? And if not, should I just chop the caps and get some ngk’s?

Back