First timer with an 81 xs

Like a 2 by 4. Got new front springs to install with adjustable dampers. And new rubber to aid. Front spring is so soft, going to go a thicker oil too.

I’ve got an ‘81 Special as a donor for my cafe creation project and I also felt that the handling does seem sort of “lazy” compared to a Standard. I put it down to the big 16” doughnut rear tire and the increased rake caused by the shorty shocks and more forward shock mount point.

Im going to spoke on an 18” rear rim and get some longer shock absorbers...

Last edited:
I’ve got an ‘81 Special as a donor for my cafe creation project and I also felt that the handling does seem sort of “lazy” compared to a Standard. I put it down to the big 16” doughnut rear tire and the increased rake caused by the shorty shocks and more forward shock mount point.
Im going to spoke on an 18” rear rim and get some longer shock absorbers...

Hi Pete,
the Standard's 110/90-18 rear tire and the Special's 130/90-16 rear tire have just about the same outside diameter
so swapping a Standard rear tire into a Special won't change the bike's stance enough to notice.
It's the Special tire's extra width that makes the "lazy" handling. Found this out when I fitted XS650 Standard wire wheels
into my Heritage Special to improve the bike's look. Swapped back to cast wheels because the wire wheels were a chore
to clean and I couldn't put tubeless tires on them..
Agreed that dropping any bike's nose and lifting it's arse quickens it's steering.

Fender or no fender!?!?!? Im in between right now
20190729_220728.jpg
20190718_151018.jpg

Need a hand here friends. What spring is on the right? Is it stock? The bottom the the progressive spring from 650direct. They seem close in size. Wonder if its an aftermarket spring already insstalled
20190731_210241.jpg
20190731_210130.jpg

That's probably a stock spring. They were dual rate and had a free length of 482mm ± 5mm, so that one seems to fall in the range.

Here is the major difference. Reguarless i think they are going inView attachment 146633

Hi pony,
measure the wire diameter and count the number of coils in each spring.
The thicker the wire and the lesser the coil count, the stiffer the spring.
From the photo the wire diameters of all 3 springs look to be the same.
Again from the photo, the spring on the right appears to have fewer coils
which make it stiffer than the other two.
The springs on the left and in the middle look to be identical.
Me. I'd use the two identical springs. The tight-wound end of the spring that
gets coil-bound to give the spring it's dual rate is best installed at the top.

Back