First timer with an 81 xs

88_pony

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Picked up my first Xs! Bike is clean with 16000km. Mods will happen this winter. Looking to go restomod, performance with not changing the stock look of the bike. Cheers, this site is full of amazing info, thanks!

Attachments

• 20190712_115411.jpg
    20190712_115411.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 20190712_115420.jpg
    20190712_115420.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 110
Nice looking already!!
Welcome to the forum. :D

Note; Your carbs are BS34's. Check the bike is Canadian and not a US import, this is because the Canadian BS34's have adjustable needles and different Needle jets and usually the jet set up is also different to the US counterpart..........this make a difference when getting advice on carb set up, especially from US guys, if this differential is not mentioned ............

4E3-3W6-3U6 TEXT.jpg

Note; Your carbs are BS34's. Check the bike is Canadian and not a US import, this is because the Canadian BS34's have adjustable needles and different Needle jets and usually the jet set up is also different to the US counterpart..........this make a difference when getting advice on carb set up, especially from US guys, if this differential is not mentioned ............

View attachment 145990
Yeah its a Cdn bike, vin matches. Thanks 650skull for looking out! Good to know advice!! Thanks again.

Your Canadian spec BS34 carbs are set up a bit richer than the U.S. ones, but I still think you may need some jet changes for that 2-1. At the very least, you should probably bump the mains up a size or two.

Did a 2 to 1 upgrade. Can hear the bike finally! The stock pipes were a bit beat up. The bike feels better in mid range rpm.

Looks really nice Pony - but don't ditch those OEM pipes as they are difficult to find and someone would probably really love to have them.

Cheers and welcome from Canada's sunny southern coast in Windsor, Ontario!

Pete

Picked up my first Xs! Bike is clean with 16000km. Mods will happen this winter. Looking to go restomod, performance with not changing the stock look of the bike. Cheers, this site is full of amazing info, thanks!

Hi pony and welcome from Saskatoon,
like lakeview asks, what part of Canada, eh?
About the exhaust you took off, perhaps the pipes were the double walled stockers but the slip-on mufflers are aftermarket.
The stock system was a one-piece weldment each side with a crossover pipe. BTW, my Heritage Special's stock system
started out severely strangulated but opened up to a quite nice sound after it got the pointy bar & BFH treatment.
As your bike's rototiller 'bars are already history, next thing is to drill the bejasus out of the front brake disk.
Check if the PO swapped in a stainless brake line and a smaller piston diameter brake lever and if he didn't you should.
And like any elderly bike, check the tires' date stamp. over 5 years old tires are as hard as wood even if they look perfect.

Last edited:
Like a 2 by 4. Got new front springs to install with adjustable dampers. And new rubber to aid. Front spring is so soft, going to go a thicker oil too.

Back