First trip: Looking for some contacts

Take Warning15

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I know there is a long list stickied but I'm hoping for something more specific to my route and more up to date (people who will be around at the time). I'm planning my first ever motorcycle trip longer than ten miles :D Anyway, Oct 11-13 my brother and I are going to attempt a ride from Philly to Shenandoah and back. He's on a '71 Honda and I'm taking my '75 XS650.

My point is, is anyone willing to email or pm me contact info in case we have mechanical issues? My e-mail is Seth.Laskin@gmail.com

It would be nice to have a list of some "emergency" contacts for the trip. Thanks!!

PS: the only reason this trip is possible is because of you guys. I bought this bike less than a year ago not running and in awful shape. I got it running with absolutely no previous knowledge of motorcycles because of this board. So, thanks for that!

100 miles is just barely getting the bike warmed up.
Carry a cell phone and have some one with a rescue vehicle handy.
Easier than carrying a ton of tools and spare parts.
Leo

I would say that AAA plus or AAA premier with motorcycle added is a great peace of mind. with plus You can get 4 tows a year up to 100 miles. that would get You home.
With premier 1 tow 200 miles and 3 tows 100 miles. And other really good benefits.
And of course cell phone, something to drink always.

Take Warning, I hope it goes well on the test ride - take a paid of vice grips. My first test ride the clutch cable snapped, and my small vice grips chewed on the end of the cable through the clutch lever and got me home. It was on so well it was a shame to take it off.

What ever happens, take some pics - we need evidence.

Anlaf

^Do it by yourself and do it to celebrate the demise of government as we know it, even if it is just temporary. Somehow I have the feeling it will be good for you.

Looks like we're going to Catskills since Shenandoah is still closed. Anymore advice? What to bring, what not to bring? We're going camping once we reach our destination.

Well, I completed my first long trip. It wasn't the one I planned, but was an opportunity that presented itself. A couple of friends from Lewistown, PA invited my brother and I out for the weekend. From Philly, it is about 200 miles, a bit less maybe. Unfortunately, I had previous obligations to meet on Friday night. Instead, we woke up early Saturday morning and hit the road. It sure was uncomfortable! Before I continue though, I must confess Ive never ridden more than about 10 miles at a time. Anyway, about 5 miles out, my brother's 71 CB450 started running on one cylinder. We pulled over and determined that his plug caps were loose. I cut off a bit of wire and reattached them. We continued on. We tried to stick to back roads, but after about 5 hours we stopped for lunch and realized we were only half way. It started looking like rain ahead so we jumped on a highway to make up some time. Neither of us had ever ridden on a highway before and were quite nervous about it. By this time my upper back and shoulders were killing me and the ride was no longer fun. I couldn't believe how exhausting sitting down for 6 hours could be. At about this point my bike up and died as I was cruising. The road was a bit wet and I knew that I blew a fuse right away. I pulled off and replaced the fuse with one that I had in my pocket. I tried to catch up with my brother. As I pulled off again to meet him, the fuse blew again. I took my time this time to look for the short. I found a few exposed wires from the tail light and rear turn signals. I taped the wires up, rerouted them, and plowed ahead. The sun began to set and we couldn't believe how long this ride was taking. The rain began coming down harder and harder with the setting sun. We both were uncomfortable with the weather and darkness and pulled off the highway as another fuse blew. I nursed the bike into a nearby shopping center and up onto the curb under the overhang. I began stripping the bike as much as possible to look for the short. I traced it down to the rear right turn signal and tail light. Every time I turned on the right turn signal the fuse blew. I decided to unplug it and continue on. We were getting pretty close to warmth and comfort, which was enough to egg us onward. The rain continued down and we decided to stick to the highway. I didn't want to risk dark windy back roads. On we went into the night. At some point, my taillight burned out and I was left with nothing but a headlight and my safety vest. I tried to keep up with traffic the best I could but visibility was awful and the terrain was unfamiliar. I was cold, sore, and soaked when we got to our exit and limped to our friends' house at about 8, eleven hours after departure and 12 hours until we had to hit the road to get back.

In the morning I sorted through my electrical mess. I found lots of water in my turn signals and tail light. I took everything I could apart to dry. Still though, I was blowing a fuse on the right turn signal. I left it unplugged. I noticed though, that with the right turn signal on, just before the fuse blew, I noticed the green neutral light would flash in rhythm with the signal.

The ride home, without lights, was uneventful and took half the time. We took some great windy backroads and stuck to highways in the afternoon to beat the sun. Time for an oil change and a tune up!

Awesome. I am a little jealous. I just got home from a trip in a plane and then a rented minivan out to a cabin on the north fork of the Shenandoah. The trip was great, especially for my kids, but it was no adventure.

Probably just some rubbed off insulation in the harness. good luck.

Back