First XS650 - where to start - 1978 special

brandnew07z

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Well I am not quite sure when I fell in love with xs650's, I think it was when i realized I couldn't afford a new harley sportster forty eight, but i finally purchased one. I bought this bike back in June, and I figured I'd post some pics. Not much progress, not really sure the direction I want to go with it. Well it's a 1978 650 special. I paid 1400 for it, a little more than I wanted to initially spend, but the bike was in amazing condition, and it was the original owner selling the bike. So here's some pictures...

The day I brought it home.

IMG_1001_zpsccb1097f.jpg

IMG_0999_zps92fbc253.jpg

I couldn't stand the handlebars. So that was the first thing to go, and the back seat rest, not really my style.

IMG_1507.jpg

IMG_1504.jpg

IMG_1502.jpg

Any honda lovers out there? might appreciate the car. That was the old project, Jdm front Integra.

IMG_1500.jpg

Well I am not quite sure the direction I want to go with this bike. I've kinda been stalling, because I don't want to chop up a bike that is in such good condition. However I really love the look that the monstercraftsman weld on brat kit brings. So any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. And if anyone else has modded their beautiful stock bike, let me know so I don't feed so bad. Maybe I should just buy another one and chop that up haha.

Last edited:
Once you buy one ... More will follow . I started out with one now have three . You might look for another to chop up . That way you have a nice stock rider and a custom for shorter rides .

theres too way many chops and not enough stock bikes around in my opinion. They are becoming a bit tedious and predictable imo:doh:

I love the cafe racer look .At least its a bit differant .

That bike is way too good to cut up. How about taking the cafe racer option further. maybe drop a 750cc kit in .

You could strip the bike and colour powder coat the frame ,tank ,panels etc ,maybe swop the tank ...........:thumbsup:

All the bits taken off can be kept to sell with the bike which will add value.

heres some inspiration

Attachments

• cafe racer.jpg
    cafe racer.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 296
@flthead yeah I have already been searching for another xs... I'm currently stationed in florida (no bikes in this area) however there's a ton in IL for sale, which is where I'll be in 2 mo after i get out of the military. I think I'll keep this one stock.

and @peanut that bike is pretty awesome. I've never been a big fan of different frame colors but that definitely looks nice, I'd ride that any day. Thanks for ideas. But thanks for tips, I am going to keep this bike the way it currently sits. Its just too pretty to chop, there's not one spec of rust. It was garage kept since 1978.

That is one beautiful 78Special. A bike in that condition would be a shame to chop in any way shape or form. Changing the bars makes for a more comfortable ride and in my opinion all that is needed. love the color, got it matched and hope it is good because i intend to use it on one of my bikes

You could keep the frame stock and do performance upgrades and a few minor cosmetic changes . The stock suspension on these things is awful , you can shave off a bunch of weight just by improving the front brake . If you have a stock ignition system you should put in an electronic unit with a high output coil . A 2 into 1 exhaust will give you a few more ponies and sounds good too . Upgrade the right parts and you got a ride-able classic.

There are lots of beat up crappy looking XS's out there. Find one of those to cut up. Keep this one with just a few mods to im prove the reliability.
The Pamco is the first thing I'd do. Points are ok and work well but are not easy to live with.
Next would be the charging system. A solid state reg/rec to replace the stock mechanical parts is an easy upgrade.
A new master cylinder with an 11 mm bore size with new braided stainless steel brake lines will improve the brakes.
Then move on to different sprockets. I like a 17/32 set. Drops some rpms and vibes at highway speeds without loosing to much low speed acceleration.
Next I would move to suspension. Steering head bearings, tapered rollers are great, bronze swing arm bushings are good too. New rear shocks and a few mods to the forks will make a very noticable improvement in ride and handling.
On to lighting, converting the tail/brake light, turn signals lights to LED's is a good step. Conserves power so the battery stays charged better. It will also help you run a brighter headlight. Converting to a headlight that uses an H4 bulb is a good thing. I like Candle Power headlights.
These things will make the bike run well, ride well and be more comfortable, and can be easily reversed if you want.
Once you cut the frame it's hard to go back.
Leo

Back