Fitting later swingarm what have I done wrong

hardhat_harry

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fitted the later swingarm and it went in easy enough (main problem was rusted rear spindle refusing to budge).

But

Is the rear spindle on the later bikes longer?? Or have I made a faux par?

DSC00023_zpsaa7e2233.jpg

DSC00024_zpsd1f6e667.jpg

DSC00022_zps3ca920dd.jpg

If it's the axle seized in the hub;

It's aluminum meets steel and they get married.

Hard to get the hub to release from the axle but you could try this;

1 - apply lots of wd-40 penetrating spray and let sit

2 - clean off the spray or at least don't breath any of the fumes you are about to make

3 - heat the aluminum hub in the area around the axle good and hot then let cool

4 - repeat 1,2,3 three or four times

5 - get the big hammer and tap on the end of the axle

6 - be prepared to buy a new axle at the very least, because all the pounding will probably destroy the threaded end.

Good Luck

But on second look, there are spacers missing and yes the axle is definitely too short.

No its not siezed I managed to get it out but when I have put the original spindle into the new later swingarm its not long enough.

On the 70-73 years the axle plates of the swing arm are about 1/4 inch thick. The 74 up swing arms are about 3/8 inch thick. This requires a longer axle. The later years are longer too. About an inch or inch and a half.
On the spacers that center the wheel in the swing arm, that you have not installed, the drive side spacer is the same early to late. The brake side spacers is different. On Ebay the axles often come with the spacers and adjusters. Some not. If you find one for a 74 up bike with the spacers you will get all you need to install your wheel.
On the US Ebay item # 181214398274 $15 + shipping. Might not be deal to ship to UK
It is an axle with the adjusters and one spacer and looks to be the right spacer.
The Ebay you get access to may have a similar deal.
Leo

Last edited:
There is a shop that imports XS's they have about 50 but no spacers so I'll knock them up on the lathe, will wander down tomorrow and get a later spindle

Back