flasher relay woes

mookie

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
i can't seem to get the relay to flash on the right side.
left works fine.
tried 3 different handlebar switches

does the right side at least light up or nothing? if the left flashes then the right should if everything is wired correctly. how are the bulbs on the right side?

does the right side at least light up or nothing? if the left flashes then the right should if everything is wired correctly. how are the bulbs on the right side?

no lights on the righ side.bulbs good.
i've tried everything (that i can think of...:banghead:)

left works fine.

I understood that.
I was wondering about the pigtail or hot/positive wire going down the center of the hollow tube.
If you take the signal light in your hand and press the stalk to the neg. post of the battery and take the loose wire and touch it to the positive post does the light, light up?
What your are checking here is the connection of the wire to the base of the socket.
Sometimes when people start pulling on things the come loose from more than one place.
Another thing to check would be the ground wire in the headlight. Several wires are grounded through the double female plug-ins. It could be the top or first ground point is good BUT the jumper to the next double plug isn't. Again it happens when people pull on the bullet connectors without holding the plug. Just rip the shit outta there and you have a broken wire you need to find. And it never breaks the insulation so it is evident. You have to wiggle them to find it.
So in summary. Take your headlight out, get a voltmeter and go over the connections.
Does it have fire and ground where and when it is supposed to.

If you treid 3 switches, then it probably isn't the switch. I would have stopped swap;ping switches after the first one. If you swapped one part for another and get the same results, that usually means the part you swapped isn't the problem. Swapping more parts won't help. You need to test the parts in the rest of the system.
What weekender was asking is did you test the light to see if it lights? I would test by hooking a jumper wire from battery positive to the hot lead at the front and rear signal. This will test the bulb, socket and ground for each signal light.
If the lights light up then the problem is between the light and the flasher switch.
If they don't light up then the problem is with the light it self. A bad wire, bad socket, bad bulb or a bad ground.
You also don't mention what year your bike is. The earlier years didn't have the self canceler and were simplier. A basic turn signal circuit is power goes to the flasher on a brown wire, from the flasher to the left/right switch on a brown/white wire. Power then flows out to each side , right on the dark green, left on the chocolate.
If your left works ok then you need to trace dark green wire from the switch to signals.
Leo

You don't say if this is a new set-up you can't get to work or ones that did work that have stopped (on the right-hand side).

If you have just fitted these things they may not have resistors built-in. If it's stock gone haywire, then follow XSLeo all the way.

Anlaf

this is a simple harness from scratch.
good working turn signal lights
i'm just fed up with it at the moment and tired of f'n with it....

if it's not the switch, and it's not the bulb/bulb socket, then you have a bad connection somewhere: either the ground, or the + wire. So, trace the wires and see where it works and where it does not.

I'm guessing: probably a bad ground.

XSLeo is giving you good advice. Get a battery and start testing things until you find the bad spot.

it's GOT to a simple novice/new at it fix.
the part i don't get is why does one side flashes fine and the other nothing.
have a bud that will help me sort it out-
and yes-i'll feel like a moron for a minute.

left works fine.

no lights on the righ side.bulbs good.
i've tried everything (that i can think of...:banghead:)

left works fine.

this is a simple harness from scratch.
good working turn signal lights
i'm just fed up with it at the moment and tired of f'n with it....

it's GOT to a simple novice/new at it fix.
the part i don't get is why does one side flashes fine and the other nothing.
have a bud that will help me sort it out-
and yes-i'll feel like a moron for a minute.

If You don't want to listen to all of these people trying to help:banghead:, i suggest you get your friend to look at it and stop wasting all these good peoples time :wtf: and go and find a site that doesn't try to help:laugh:

Bit harsh maybe but i'm glad you got it sorted. Let us know if it was solved by one of the answers given or something else you found yourself

Of course, the flasher relay. Must be one of the prongs shorted out, (only one side indicator works). Buy 2 just in case the first is faulty.

as you know the handlebar switch sends both sides to the flasher and the flasher doesn't know left from right- it only creates an intermitent signal to the bulbs.
what confounds me is why does one side work a charm and the other side zilch.
i even set up a test on the bench bypassing the bike completely.
battery + switch gear+relay plus two indicators(left/right).
got to be the relay some way some how.

actually the flasher is before the handlebar switch. the switch dicides which side to send the power to.
fuse box to flasher to switch to left side or right side also to indicator light

Back