Flatsides xs650 77

dwaynemcfarlane

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been surfing the internet for a while now concerning flatsides for my xs650 77.
The result is confusion
So wich one for my bike and do you have any links?
D

Which flat slide carbies are you interested in? This site has plenty of information on Brand X PWK knockoffs (mostly trouble reports), Mikuni TM34s, both plain and dedicated 4-stroke pumpers (from Topham Mikuni, in Germany), modified Mikuni 4-stroke RS34 pumpers, modified Mikuni TM36/68 4-stroke pumpers, and even Lectrons (mostly trouble reports). There's too much to repeat here, use the Tech button and search function and come on back with specific quetions if you still have them.

Edit: Your choice will depend on your purpose and your purse. I've used Mikuni 4-stroke pumpers for quite a few years, and like them quite a lot. If you want performance, tractability, and ease of installation and don't mind spending a bit, check out the TM34 pumper kit offered here: www.mikuni-topham.de . On the other hand if you have a stock motor, IMO you'd be wasting your money on those.

Last edited:
If it looks like a jungle, sharpen your machete and clear the brush (i.e. read until things make sense to you) before you start spending money! You might want to abandon the idea that flat slide carburetors are necessarily an "upgrade." One more option: Keihin CVK34 carbs from Kawasaki Ninja 500 twins work well with stock and mildly modified XS650 motors. These preserve the vacuum diaphragm carb's ability to respond to changing atmospheric conditions and offer more recent design than the OE Mikuni BS series carbs. A quick search will take you to several very good threads.

Back