flip the jugs

you mean like this?
http://www.xs650chopper.com/2009/11/frankenbob/
noid-DSC054341.JPG

yes exactly, my brother was wanting to flip the jugs on his 72 650, but i'm just not sure how hard it is to do on the older bikes like that. any tips?

i would think you'd have issues trying to keep shit from spinning up from the tire and getting into the intake...

well the bikes not ugly anymore, he's doing a pretty nice chop on it. he had to take the engine apart to free the pistons, so he thought it would be cool to flip the jugs around when he put it back together

theres an issue of the horsebc that had a nice hardtail race xs with this done to it. had a decent write up about it as well.... i'll try and find that issue... pm me if i don't in the next few days to remind me. i'm pretty sure you need to regrind the cam and do something for the overhead oil feel... off the top of my head, but the jugs aren't flipped in teh above picture and i don't think they are on the bike in the horse either as the cam adjuster would demonstrate

and as said AGAIN....The exhaust valves need the cooling being on the front of the engine provides that.

chop crowd...doesn't matter if it lasts or runs....as long as it looks cool eh?

I just did this in my head but if you were to set the cam 180 out the timing would line up perfect.. no?

As far as the cooling, if you had an oil cooler and did do to much stop and go you should be just fine. But these motors can take some serious abuse. When I first got my XS I had no oil getting to the top end (PO took off oil cooler and plugged lines) and I rode it around for a month or two without even knowing. The cams were toast from friction but nothing was warped.

and as said AGAIN....The exhaust valves need the cooling being on the front of the engine provides that.

chop crowd...doesn't matter if it lasts or runs....as long as it looks cool eh?

Relax CD. I agree, the exhaust valves should remain in front for cooling. But, this was not a chop thing. It was done long ago on Triumphs to drag bikes. Apparently they thought having the carbs up front would produce a ram air effect. I thought this was a better idea. I have no idea if this works, but yeah, it looks cool. I don't want my bike to outlast me anyway.

Attachments

• xs650-chop-noid-100_0644-587x440.jpg
    xs650-chop-noid-100_0644-587x440.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 228
I believe Yamaha did this very thing on their large bore moto-crossers this year. It makes a certain amount of sense from an engineering standpoint. Straight directional air and fuel flow....could really have a great ram air set up! This bike is water cooled, however, this does take care of the very real issue of exhaust valve cooling.

Back