Float Height Adjustment Q?

avenue

push.
Reaction score
I just took apart, cleaned, compressed air'd, installed new o-rings, float needles and have now moved onto adjusting the float height on my '83 stock carbs. To get into my clymer manual's specs, I'm having to bend the tangs quite a bit, so much that I'm second guessing either the specs. or my "stock" carbs.

27.3mm from the gasket matting surface is what I'm reading in the manual. the old needle was reading closer to 20mm. I bought this project in pieces and can't say for sure if the bike was running before disassembly. Although the PO said his tear-down was because of an electrical problem and the carbs were not very gunked up prior to cleaning.

How far do most tangs need to be tweaked to hit spec. numbers? As much as it takes or is there something I'm overlooking?

thanks,
avenue.

Are you measuring from the right place?
Measure from the round part of the float, not the flat part by the pivot point. maesure from the carb body without the gasket.
Also, dothe carbs have a stamped chrome steel topcover or a thick cast alloy top cover.
Also have you read www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf ?
Leo

Last edited:
I'm measuring from the gasket surface, not the outer lip.

Yes, I'm also measuring to the highest rounded edge of the float.

The topcovers are chromed chromed steel.

And yes, I've read through the carb guide. I'm reading it over, once again, right now.

Have any others found their float tangs need extreme persuading to reach spec?
thanks,
avenue.

*EDIT* I re-read the carb manual and found an important tidbit I failed to catch earlier.

Take a picture if you can. I had to do my floats twice as I missed something the first time. Carbs can be a real love hate relationship.

Finding that plastic float spec wasn't easy. None of the manuals seem to list it. The factory shop manuals I did see for '81 and newer models mistakenly continued to list the old brass float spec of 27.3. I finally found a listing, in of all places, on the '83 XS650SK carb parts diagram over at biker.net.

That was my link he fixed, my key board has some of the letters half worn off , sometimes I hit the wrong key. This time I hit the p key not the o key.
I usually catch it but it slipped by me that time.
Leo

I had my carbs dipped and rebuilt. They looked great. left side just keeps on over flowing.
float is between 26 and 27 mm. Its ok when running, but once i shut it off, drip, drip, drip. I'm wondering if the float needle seat (cast aluminum) is shot..after the dip so the needle won't seat.

Your float needle seat is a brass piece that either threads into the carb or presses in and is held by a screw and clip. like one of these.
The one that has the o-ring is the press in the other is the screw in.
Leo

Attachments

• 48-1429.jpg
    48-1429.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 48-1445.jpg
    48-1445.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 74
Back