Float height, am I measuring correct...

joebgd

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
If I have the carbs off, I am holding them upside down so in the rested position the floats would have the valve shut. I am then measuring from gasket area surface of body to actual bottom of float. It would be difficult to do with the carbs on so I wanna get it right. Thanks for all reply

15955353003465688163572095132089.jpg
I know the measurement varies on plastic or brass. Just wanna be sure cause I did it to specs and I just feel like my left carb is almost full b4 shut off. Which is another question in the manual it states ,fuel level plus or minus 1mm does that mean the bowl can be full + or minus 1mm?

Float height varies through the years, assuming you have the stock 80 brass float BS34's your float height should be 27.3 +- .5mm

650carbspecsreducedsizeey7.png

There have been some discussions and disagreements on exactly where to measure to on the plastic floats, the top of the round "bulb" or the higher flat surface next to the hinge. I've always measured to the top of the round "bulb" and this pic from a Suzuki carb rebuild document seems to confirm that. The pic appears to have come from an actual Suzuki shop manual .....

fQoSj9N.jpg

Checking the fuel level afterwards using the clear tube method has shown it to be correct.

Okay, I just wanted to confirm I'm doing it right. I got the float from a set of carbs that looked like where never opened. I just put the float in and it was good. Went on a short run and she seems to be running good. I have the mix screws at 2 out on left and 2 1/4 on right. After a few trips to get anything may need dialing in I'm going to slot the pickup and just slightly retard the timeing.

After a few trips to get anything may need dialing in I'm going to slot the pickup and just slightly retard the timeing.
The pickup is already slotted from the factory. There's enough there for 1-3° of retard... which is enough.

Well, it seems some are slotted, some are not. The one on my '83 was not and required me to do it.

Well, it seems some are slotted, some are not. The one on my '83 was not and required me to do it.
It'd be good to get an idea which ones are which. My 80 had about a 5° slot. 83 is no slot. Anyone know about the 81 and 82?

It's gonna be a few days b4 I grind the snap bolt off, actually what do I need to reassure the pickup? A nut and bolt or just a bolt or screw of same threads?
I'll post when I have an idea of I'm going to need to slot.

The alternator housing is tapped and threaded so all you need is a screw, but make sure it's not too long or it might hit the something you don't want it to inside. Here's my modded upper screw hole without the screw installed yet .....

zxy7XDO.jpg

All you need slotted is the top hole. The pick-up will just pivot on the bottom screw.

That "snap bolt" can be slotted with a dremel cut off wheel and unscrewed. I just reuse them. Bolt length is critical on the face of the stator. Use something too long itll dig into the rotor.

I was thinking the same thing at first but this screw is at the outer edge of the stator. I don't think it would hit the rotor but it very well could dig into the stator windings.

I have an stp gas treatment, the basic red one will that help like an ethenol treatment?. It says it's base is jet fuel Is jet fuel kind of like alcohol?
I'm going to use ethanol shield or prob stabil, I just have a brand new stp if it won't hurt anything I'll use it just cause I have it but after that it's going to be stabil.
Bike is running good except for I need a battery, I'm probably going to go yuasa led acid unless I decide lithium.

I have an stp gas treatment, the basic red one will that help like an ethenol treatment?. It says it's base is jet fuel Is jet fuel kind of like alcohol?
I'm going to use ethanol shield or prob stabil, I just have a brand new stp if it won't hurt anything I'll use it just cause I have it but after that it's going to be stabil.
Bike is running good except for I need a battery, I'm probably going to go yuasa led acid unless I decide lithium.
Jet fuel, like diesel, is kerosene based petroleum so not alcohol. Some have used it to clean their fuel system but only sparingly. Stabil is the best thing to fight ethanol as far as I am aware.

Back