flooding

rezsst

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
This has been an on going problem for me. Hesitation stumbling. Runs great untill it gets hot. Today I smelled gas when it stumbled. Noticed my pod was wet with gas and my head gasket has gas coming out of it too. Wtf dam carbs has new floats new values been thru it so many times trying to find the problem, even put the old values back in it. Has to be the floats right? Happens thru out rpm. I drive 20 miles to work no problem, turn gas off, get off work and it runs like shit for 10 miles . Anyone have this happen? The floats are three years old from mikes. 132.5 mains. apparently as I'm driving it dumps gas in the motor. Floats , float valves, maybe the chokes, I don't know. Really need some help. I do have another xs650 but the carbs are bad too.

Last edited:
(from gggarry) A leaking oring that seals the float valve body to the carb body is a common issue on BS34s on many different bikes.

Hard to detect problem too.

You can try shiming the oring with some teflon tape in the groove then install the oring and carefully push the brass valve body back into the carb body and see if it leaks with the gas on.

I removed the valve body that I got from mikes because I was concerned about the o-ring. Some of there rubber products dont hold up. Replaced it with the stock one with a new o-ring and the stock valve and it didn't change. Thinking of going back to brass floats. Teflon won't hold up to gas,

thanks for responding

Here's a trick that may help you to 'think it thru'.

The bowls hold about a minute's worth (or a mile's worth) of fuel, give or take, depending on your driving.

While riding, and experiencing your issue, turn off the fuel, continue riding. The fuel level in the bowls will now start to drop.

If, after a few seconds, the running improves, and remains improved, without stumbling, for the next 15-30 seconds, your floats may be off, allowing too much fuel in the carbs.

If the rich condition continues for some time, say 10-20 seconds, then you may be experiencing some sort of heat-related overfueling, like from bad gasket seal (warped carb body), or needle jet o-ring leakage, simply jetted too rich, or some other mystery.

Yes I have tried a few things.worked good for two years. Did turn off the petcocks with no results . I do have extra carbs. That I'll go thru this weekend. Tried the floats at different heights with no results ..super frustrated. This is my money machine saves me about 400 a month. A must fix. Diaphams test good.warped? I'll swap them out this weekend.

Back