Flushing the crankcase after a holed piston

Migueldlf

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Goodmoring,

Well after riding for a few 100 miles trips i have holed the left piston :banghead:, and the right has low compression. I am starting to build a list of new parts to do a full top end rebuild.

My questions is as follows, is it safe or not recommended to flush the crank case in order to avoid opening it up? I haven't physically opened up the engine but a simple light shining thru the spark plug opening has revealed about a dime size hole. I want to make sure that after the top end is rebuilt i won't have to worry about chunks of piston in the crank case.

Any recommendation on parts and techniques (or some threads) that would help my sue will be greatly appreciated.

SO sar i plan to get all the parts from 650 Central.

Morning, Miguel. To start you off, use the Google custom search above and type "hole piston crankcase flush". There will be about 20+ threads listed, about half you'll want to read...

[/URL][/IMG]
At least you didn't find this in there. Used a case of carb cleaner to flush mine out.
You need to take the head off. Some aluminum may have damaged/deposited on your valves.

Attachments

• onefeduppiston-vi_zpscc4607ef.jpg
    onefeduppiston-vi_zpscc4607ef.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 2
I would spilt the cases. I did mine for less. I had a locked up engine. You would be surprised the amount of gunk/ dirt/ grime that WON'T come out buy flushing. I had to use a small scraper and screwdriver to get the shit out. Probably be better in the long run. But you do what you want.

You'll definitely want to totally disassemble the engine. Partially pay attention to lower rod bearing, oil pump and passageways

Posted via Mobile

Back