Fork Drum Bearing

Shipper

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Been looking at the Garage forums for some time now and have seen the method to press the drum bearing (93320-31501-00) in and out of the casing. I am down to the bones on the old casing and want to water jet clean them. Question, the needle drum bearing appears to be fine by sight and feel. Is there a way to test its functionality? and also, can it be left in the casing (protected with cover material) for the water jet process?

Thanks,

Shipper

Attachments

• IMG_0818.jpg
    IMG_0818.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 184
Same story in DQG's thread.
Try an expanding "well nut".
View attachment 153654

Starting at post #195.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/71-xs1b-conversion-to-cafe.45115/page-10#post-460701

He just grabbed a regular bathtub plug, inverted it and used it to seal the bearing...
Read through most of the attached threads and really appreciate the terrific info. One thing I can't find. Is it practical/possible to vapour blast with the studs still attached to the upper casing. I noticed in the threads attached that they can be removed but not for the novice. I would prefer to avoid the hassle and just clean them up best I can as they aren't deteriorated. Most are real good, the pic is the only one that has some light corrosion.

Attachments

• IMG_0820.jpg
    IMG_0820.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 183
I like Gary Hoos' practice; cases are bolted together and all openings taped off for vapor blasting. Wet abrasives sprayed around inside an engine gives me the heebie jeebies.

G, Have read through most of the posts and accepted the theory that internal engine parts should probably not be blasted (vapour or otherwise). So I have visited my local marina for boat bailing plugs and my local swimming pool supply for larger pipe plugs and sealed off all machine holes - see pics. What do you suggest for closing off the remaining holes around the piston holes and on the sides? Wont tape be easily peeled with a vapour blast? And, the drain pipes in the upper piston holes is snug but not perfectly tight, is that a problem? The cam bearing on the inside is also plugged with a marine plug. My sense is the residual blast wash that sneaks by wont be a problem.

Attachments

• IMG_0838.jpg
    IMG_0838.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0834.jpg
    IMG_0834.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0835.jpg
    IMG_0835.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0836.jpg
    IMG_0836.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 158
Sorry don't vapor blast, and really about done pressure washing too. Water always sneaks in, so unless the motor will be run within hours to me it's not worth the risk. :shrug:

These motors clean up surprisingly easy with just some basic cleaners and elbow grease, and it can be done in your home, right on your work bench. Save your money for parts. :) I cleaned my engine cases first with kerosene and a paintbrush ( that alone took 90% of the crud off ) then I used basic household degreasers with scrubbie pads and paper towels, maybe a little gentle scraping with a small flat blade screwdriver to loosen stuff in the nooks and crannies. Then everything shined up with small wire wheels ( brass and steel ) in a Dremel.
39228DDF-1C22-4B5B-98E7-4B526C1B9218.jpeg
837D0A66-99F4-4835-8430-67E9FEEE78C6.jpeg
5193FA4B-84AA-4A21-89ED-94AF5892E31B.jpeg

What is the view on blasting the inside and outside with Sodium Bicarbonate as the blasting media? I ask in reference to a teaspoon of bicarbonate being used in each cylinder for rings that just won't bed in...

... perhaps there is some mileage in this approach, or is there another issue to be aware of with Bicarbonate???

Back