Fork Lower Leg Clear Paint ?

mrtwowheel

Honda Etched On Brain
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I'm rebuilding my forks and want to polish and coat them with clear so I won't have to buff them again for a long time. What works? Enamel or Laquer? What gloss? What brand? I'm not interested in specialty paints, just something that I can find at Walmart or AutoZone. If you've done this, what did you use? How did it hold up? Did it turn yellow? No time to search, has to be done in the next few days.

Scott

I'm rebuilding my forks and want to polish and coat them with clear so I won't have to buff them again for a long time. What works? Enamel or Laquer? What gloss? What brand? I'm not interested in specialty paints, just something that I can find at Walmart or AutoZone. If you've done this, what did you use? How did it hold up? Did it turn yellow? No time to search, has to be done in the next few days.

Scott

I recommend you do the polishing, but don't apply anything. I polished my engine cases and forks several years ago, and find they are easy to keep looking good. I occasionally use "Autosol" to maintain the shine.

If that wheel clear is the one I have used it has some metallic in it, like the other colors do. Not that that's bad just so you know.

I'm with RG on this one; polish the aluminum, keep it waxed. I like blue magic to keep aluminum shining. But my bikes live indoors and the ones that winter in the shed are due for some rag time in the spring.

I think the practical limit to the size of my cycle fleet has a lot to do with how many bikes I am willing to devote the time to, to keep them looking good.

Auto Zone carries Dupli-Color wheel paint. I have not used the clear, but have used black and silver on bike and auto wheels and am very pleased with the finish, sprayability, and durability.

Here's the web site. Common in auto parts stores.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/premiumLacquer/

I like Duplicolor paints. Really like the acrylic laquer for tanks. Walmart and AutoZone in my area have replaced Duplicolor products with Rustoleum Automotive ones. O'Rielys do have the Duplicolor still. After some googleing I have found some good words about VHT High Temp Satin Clear for covering polished aluminum, also available at O'rielly's. I'm not going for a show bike just something to replace the scaley coat of coating already on the forks. I don't polish, I spray with S100, spread it around with a soft brush then spray it hard, flood spray it soft and then dry. S100, great stuff, not really expensive when you learn that it only takes a little, gets cleaner every time. Sorry for the commercial.

Scott

That was VHT SP115, I'll check it out. If it needs baking I might use something else.

Last edited:
If that wheel clear is the one I have used it has some metallic in it, like the other colors do. Not that that's bad just so you know.

I'm with RG on this one; polish the aluminum, keep it waxed. I like blue magic to keep aluminum shining. But my bikes live indoors and the ones that winter in the shed are due for some rag time in the spring.

I think the practical limit to the size of my cycle fleet has a lot to do with how many bikes I am willing to devote the time to, to keep them looking good.

I think they make the clear both ways, but not positive, I just know it works about as well as a rattle can could be expected. I do not clear coat myself. I'd rather have my aluminum "accessable".:bike:

Back