Fork lowering

Sazbo

Sazbo
Reaction score
Hi all, i can't seem to find a difinitive answer to this question, maybe there is none, well here goes, Is there a rule of thumb when lowering you fork. If my rear shocks are an inch shorter do I lower my fork an inch, or am I not thinking about this the right way.

you got it. if you just slide the forks up an inch through the trees, you will see if you like it or not before you permanently lower the guts in the forks.
A lot of guys run this way, but I think it looks goofy. Do it right.

Thanks guys, another thing I'm wondering about is, I want to replace my fork springs, I figure I mine as well they are the originals. Mikesxs has the progressive type, would these be ok to use with Hughs lowering kit or do I stick with stock springs.

Clean out and refill the forks with 15wt fresh fork oil. Your springs are probably fine.

You can temporarily lower the forks by raising them in the trees an inch but you can't run them that way permanently. The fork lowers and maybe the fender will slam into the bottom tree if you hit a big enough bump to bottom the forks. The amount you can safely raise the tubes in the trees is very limited, at most maybe a half inch. If you're going to go that route, I suggest you test things. Remove the springs and completely compress the forks to see just how much space you do have.

Back