Fork Seal/Bearing Puller

littlebill31

Smells of Raw Fuel
Reaction score
Has anyone had luck using a blind bearing puller to remove fork seals?

I cannot get these things out. Boiled water, banged around, pried them, cussed.....

after removing the retainer ring and washer, my seals came right out just a regular lever type seal puller. They are not tight, at all. didn't try to remove the bushings so that will probably a bit harder.

These just will not come out. Driving me nuts.
I figured a blind bearing puller would work (I want to get one anyway) but not sure if it will actually do the trick.

beating the seal with the socket or a large chunk of pipe really makes a difference. I've done a few nasty sat out in the weather fork seals.

Got them out. Thanks Gary!!!

Soaked them in PB Blaster overnight, knocked them hard with a large socket and used the tire lever trick. Worked like a charm.

My fork seals were so tight that when they finally came out there was a very fine aluminium coating on them. I assume the rubber welded to the aluminium. I tried everything including filling with oil and hammering. I avoided use of a tyre-lever because the risk of slipping and causing damage was in my opinion too great. Finally I drilled a hole (approx 2 mm) in the top of the seal through its metal reinforcing and screwed in a wood screw. I then pulled the seal out using a claw hammer on the screws - just like pulling nails. I protected the top of the forks by placing a piece of 2 mm aluminium sheet under the hammer. The first seal came out first go but the second required 3 attempts with 3 holes having to be drilled. I used a hand drill for the holes.

I tried the screw trick on a bad lower I have as a test (note the marks from the PO).
The screws kept ripping out, so I gave up.

IMG_1403.JPG

I wrote about removing seals back on 1st October 2016. If you search for "fork seals" and add my username "Paul Sutton" the thread will come up. There is a photo of the seals I pulled out with a hammer and the tools. Link Address:

http://www.xs650.com/posts/475440/

I cleaned the rubber residues left on the fork using fine steel wool with oil by very gentle rubbing.

Sorry but our comments crossed. The hole needs to be drilled closer to the outer edge of the seal otherwise the screw will tear out. Make sure the screw is pulled out vertically so it does not scratch the aluminium.

Edit: The entry saying you have removed the seals was not showing on my computer. I must have been viewing a cached page. I am glad you solved it!!

I like the "hammer-and-socket" prequel for loosening an old seal up. I will be using that tip in the future.

Back