Fork swap

Scott73

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I need a nudge in the right direction. i need triple trees for my 73. I looked at the tech and it looks like I can use 74 trees. Is this correct. If so gonna purchase them Thanks.

I need a nudge in the right direction. i need triple trees for my 73. I looked at the tech and it looks like I can use 74 trees. Is this correct. If so gonna purchase them Thanks.
'74 trees fit 34 mm forks. '73 has 34 mm forks. '74 does not have the steering damper knob. I am not sure if any of that makes a difference.

Don't know the answer, but I've got a '70 triple I'd let go pretty reasonable. Maybe someone can chime in on that?
Gives ya more options if it does...

thank you! Do you know if the stem is the same?
1675283358755.png

According to the above from Partzilla, what @Jim is offering is an exact fit. The 1974 unit is not.

yeah most them early fork parts were changing year to year.
CL to CL changed after 71 when the disk brake came in, and the stem got longer in 74.
I'd be taking up GLJ on his offer, cuz having parts and KNOWING exactly what they are is a rare combo.
That sleuthing by dogbunny sounds and looks right to me!
Two thumbs up for @GLJ and @DogBunny

yeah most them early fork parts were changing year to year.
CL to CL changed after 71 when the disk brake came in, and the stem got longer in 74.
I'd be taking up GLJ on his offer, cuz having parts and KNOWING exactly what they are is a rare combo.
That sleuthing by dogbunny sounds and looks right to me!
Two thumbs up for @GLJ and @DogBunny
This is my first 650. And not gonna lie This shit ain’t easy😂 but working through it

This is my first 650. And not gonna lie This shit ain’t easy😂 but working through it

No, it's not. Main reason i made up the Model ID thread.

But 99.999% of the sleuthing on the XS650 has been done and if someone doesn't know they will most likely point you in the right direction.

Bookmark the link i gave you, or to find it, it is the first link at the top of the "Tech Menu" page..........or in this thread

Back