Found an '81, need some advice

Firerunner

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So here is the story- a few years ago, while undergoing a long-term Harley Ironhead bobber project, I felt the desire to have a little bike to run around with. I found a '72 XS650 in an old hardtailed Triumph frame for a good price, running well. I bought it. I then found out that the previous owner had just moved to California, and that he brought the bike with him from New York... and for some reason, California wouldn't let the transfer go through. I tried to get in touch with the PO, to no avail. I rode the bike until the registration was up. I then ended up trading it for a significant amount of work that I needed to farm out on the Harley.

The Harley IS almost done... but after playing with the 650 for a while, I actually prefer that powerplant. It is much lighter than my old Ironhead, and offers plenty of torque. I started looking around for another XS. I found one on craigslist which is local to me. It is an 81, which means TCI, 34mm carbs and an electric starter. It runs, and the current owner recently rebuilt the transmission. He started to chop it... but that is about it. It has no title, but has been off the record with California DMV long enough that I should be able to get a VIN verification and register it with a salvage title. I took a look at it today and we got her running. The bike idled fine. It hadn't been started for about a year, so I wasn't too surprised when there was a thick blue tint to the exhaust. However, after letting it warm up for a few minutes, the left cylinder cleared up considerably. The right one didn't. It also appeared to be leaking some oil near the spark plug. I figure at least a top end refresh is in order. It could be driven down the road if it had a plate, but it is ugly. Side plates and rear fender are gone. I would be putting a TC Bros hardtail on it eventually, so the visual aspects don't bug me as much as the mechanical ones do. The forks are from a 750, and have dual disks.

The fellow who owns the bike was asking $800, but when we discovered the oil/exhaust leak, he mentioned that he would lower his asking price to $600, but even then seemed open to an offer. The price includes the bike, two extra XS650 frames, and a lot of old Yamaha, Kawasaki, BSA and Truimph parts of unknown condition or origin.

Here is the one photo that I have.
hhhhhhh389.jpg

My question is this: What would YOU pay? Would you even bother? I'd rather have an earlier, simpler motor, but this MAY end up being a cheap deal after I sell all the spare parts and so forth. Thoughts?

Last edited:
600 for a runner + parts is a pretty good deal, especially in california. I would jump on it before it is gone.

do it.
don't overthink it.
do it.

sell the other stuff to pay for your new top end.
do it.

and for god's sakes, hurry up and cut that rear off, those "hoop only" Brat's look unfinished/unthought out.

Oh I'm with you about the hardtail. I think the bike looks ridiculous as it is. I can put it on, so that looks like about $250 that will have to happen soon. I have an old Johnson & Johnson first aid kit box that I can use for the electronics. It will need a new battery. What should I expect to spend on the rebuild? MikesXS has the gasket sets for about $60. I would prefer to only do the top end, but I will still need rings. If I do the hardtail right away then I will need a longer chain. Until I could get to that, then I would make struts and drop it as much as I can that way. A fender will be needed by about October. It should be fine without for the summer. I also need to go by DMV and do a VIN verification for the title. That won't cost much, but it will be a pain in the butt.

The question is, what is a reasonable amount to offer? This needs to be a super budget build.

For $600 I would think you could double your money or better if you just sold it and the parts as parts. I don't know what you mean by earlier simpler motor. The later the motor, the easier it is to find parts for.

I guess it is a fear of the unknown. My '72 had points. All my Volkswagens had points. I don't mind points. I can fix points with a matchbook and a screwdriver, generally. Points don't need a computer or anything. I've never dealt with TCI. I don't need the weight or bulk of the starter, or the complication of the starter wiring. I guess all that can be replaced or removed easily enough. It isn't that big of a deal.

You can retrofit it with points if you want to . The electronic igntion can be fixed if it breaks, but most people just get a used one on ebay and plug it in, I would imagine. It's plug and play, never anything to adjust.

Let me have the address of the guy and I'll have my sister in LA buy it and send it to me, so you don't have to think about any more.:laugh:

The owner just sent me a text lowering his asking to $500.00. This is getting tempting. The hard part might be hiding the bike from my wife.

Oh I'm with you about the hardtail. I think the bike looks ridiculous as it is. I can put it on, so that looks like about $250 that will have to happen soon. I have an old Johnson & Johnson first aid kit box that I can use for the electronics. It will need a new battery. What should I expect to spend on the rebuild? MikesXS has the gasket sets for about $60. I would prefer to only do the top end, but I will still need rings. If I do the hardtail right away then I will need a longer chain. Until I could get to that, then I would make struts and drop it as much as I can that way. A fender will be needed by about October. It should be fine without for the summer. I also need to go by DMV and do a VIN verification for the title. That won't cost much, but it will be a pain in the butt.

The question is, what is a reasonable amount to offer? This needs to be a super budget build.

Well, get him down as far as you can, but bring $500 just in case. I wouldn't let this one slip by you.
Good Luck!

Last edited:
One thought I just had, if the guy is so eager you might want to run the vin by your dmv and check to see if the bike shows up as stolen. Its probably not.

One thought I just had, if the guy is so eager you might want to run the vin by your dmv and check to see if the bike shows up as stolen. Its probably not.

you know, i got a bike cheap and before putting time and money into i went to the DMV to check this.. they looked at me like I was an idiot and said if i really wanted to i could check with the state police.. so i said fuck it, riding the bike with plates from my other xs. haha

is there actually a way to check it at the DMV?

Well, it turns out that the bike has expired registration... since 1999! The back fees would cost more than the bike would. I will check on the other two frames. If they are all still on record with the DMV, and none are non-opped, then this is basically just an engine that needs to be rebuilt. I suppose that I could build it as a special construction, but then it would be a 2011, and have to have quieter pipes, turn signals and so forth (you know... technically.)

That's a pretty good deal. You can get around the back registration, just find the right DMV worker, call it non-running, etc.

It has the drum mag, which was made only one year.

I'm amazed there are places where they make you pay somebody elses taxes. Here, the person responsible for the taxes and fees and penalties is the person who owned it when they were due. The other way is counterproductive even. It's like they think their purpose is to be a nuisance.

Well, hopefully one of the other frames will be either non-opped (best) or at least have no record on file. With a no record bike, I can do it as a salvage title as long as CHP will sign off on a vin verification. The trouble that brings is negotiation ammo as well.

Anyone good with vin decoding? The other frames must be older than '71 (iirc), the VINs are less than 17 digits. S650-123*** and S650-201***

Back