Found an '81, need some advice

If I decide not to go for it, I'll post it up here for sure. So, the other frames are off DMV records, and are a 71 and a 72. The only way to get this thing legal quickly is to put it in one of those frames. The good news is that my mortgage modification just got finalized, and I am paying almost $1,000.00 less per month than I was four years ago. Right now, the tentative plan is to get a TC bros hardtail and hardtail whichever of the other frames is in better shape, and then swap parts over (loosing the starter and associated wiring on the way). Once that frame is registered, then I can swap the engine, forks, tank (temporarily) and seat onto the hardtailed frame. I think I can do it in two days of work. My wife finally conceded that another bike project would take up less room than one of my trailers... so if I get rid of a trailer that I didn't ever really want... I should be in. I think I will go in offering $300 and see what we settle on. I'll keep $500 with me, just in case. My goal will be to get the thing on the road for under $1k. Think its doable?

There's potential to keep it under $1000. It depends on what the other parts and frames are. You may be able to sell them to reduce the total cash outlay. As I mentioned in the above post, the forks, wheel, and also triple tree look like they are from an early 80's seca, maxim, or virago (maybe 920). That may be an issue, as far as fitting them into '71 or '72 neck. But I'm sure you can work around that. There may also be an issue of physically fitting the '81 engine easily into either of those 2 frames. I have a '71 engine that the front mounting holes are off by about 3/16" of an inch from easily mounting into my '79 frame. I remember reading a thread on engine switching that mentioned this problem. Again though, its something you can make work. Good luck, I hope everything works out.

could one of us out of state register it, then "sell" it to you? that way you could dodge the fees, just pay for 2 registrations.

I appreciate the idea, but with California, out of state registrations can be harder to deal with than an in-state salvage. That was the case with the Triumph/XS that I had before.

Did bearings and necks change between 71 and 81? I'm not worried about motor mounts. I can fab that easily.

Well crud. I guess I can have a spacer machined up for it. I think I have another XS fork set here somewhere, and who knows what we will find in this guy's garage o' parts.

One of the other frames has the neck and triple trees on it. Are XS650s consistently 34mm tubes?

Last edited:
where is it? i havent seen it. and i thought we only had to go back 3 years if it was out of the system? and i thought that happens after 10 years. i paid way more than that for mine in february. it was a little cleaner but it would end up cheaper than mine when you finished...

The issue that I have to figure out now, is how I am going to get the front end working.

so did you buy it yet? better hope it doesnt hit ebay or craigslist or it will be gone in a flash.

I got a pretty well maintained stock 74' for $600 and thought I got a great deal. Good job! Also, feel free to send me some cafe handlebars from that mysterious garage of parts.:D

Back