Found an '81, need some advice

$350 for running bike+ parts? Fan-freakin-tasic deal!! :thumbsup: Good luck at Cal DMV. :eek:

Oh don't worry! All the parts that I don't intend to use will be put on the classifieds here and on the Harley forum that I am on. I need to liquidate stuff! There is an old fender in the pile. It has a bullet hole in it, and is covered in rust, but it's a pretty cool. We will just have to see what is in there!

Well, I have the bike(s) in my possession now. Turns out that the cache of spare parts filled the back of my 4runner and my 4x8 trailer. All three frames appear to be straight. Upon running the bike for a few minutes, I noticed that the smoke at the right cylinder was coming mostly from the spark plug hole. I don't think the plug is sealing. I also noticed that there was no filter at the breather on the head between the carbs. A 90 degree elbow and small filter should solve the oil coming from there. I will also check torque on the head bolts and replace the plugs. Otherwise, it seems to run fine. I have an appointment with DMV on Tuesday to get one of the frames registered. The 71 and 72 frames both have their front ends, so I'm not too worried about it either way. As I said, I can fab up motor mounts. There is a slight backfire on the left cylinder. I will sort that out later. The exhaust does smell a little like gasoline, so it might be running a little rich on that side.

As far as spare parts go- I have a lot! There were a few odds and ends from BSA, some Triumph pipes, what is labeled a Norton oil tank, and a Yamaha 750 motor that is in pieces. I'm not interested in it, and will probably scrap it, along with a few buckets of odds and ends. I'm considering taking a few photos of all the unidentified bike parts that I now have and offering them up to whoever can identify them! I just want to keep XS stuff that I can use, and get rid of the rest. The Norton (if that is what it is) oil tank and Triumph pipes I will put on FleaBay.

I think I should start a new thread in the Build section. If I do, I will edit this post and include the link.

FR

I just stumbled across this thread again... some things have changed!

For instance, the back half fell off and was replaced by a TC Bros hardtail. The tank was replaced with a sportster tank. I fabbed a bit here and a bit there. I got it registered. Some of the spare parts are traded out. I still have a lot of other stuff. I really should start a build thread, and start selling a bunch of this stuff. For now, I ride.

Oh, and by the way to all ye haterz- I know that everybody does TC Bros tails and sportster tanks. That is because it looks good and works. I don't care if it looks like somebody else's. I'm in it to ride.

Back