Frame and Engine numbers different?

BlokHed9

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Picked up 1980 XS650.
Looked up the frame numbers (2F0 ######) and confirms what registration says, it as 1980.
When look up the engine number (S650 ######) appears the engine is a '72-'73 from a TX650?
To anyone's knowledge engine was never swapped?
Think this could this be something that happened at the factory or maybe swapped somewhere in the past with a previous owner not being truthful?

All bikes came from the factory with matching numbers.
Engines get swapped around quite often. The S650 is a 256 engine. It has some good points and some weak ones.
As far as title/registration goes they use the frame number.
Leo

Well, I was stopped by South Carolina's finest while riding my trusty '78/E and the officer compared the VIN on the frame to the engine number. :wtf: I asked him if that is what he was doing, and he said yes. I don't know if all manufacturers match the numbers, but Yamaha did, so perhaps you should check the engine number to see if the bike it came on was stolen...:eek:..or not...:shrug:..perhaps ignorance is bliss. :D

Hi BlokHed,
Post a photo, eh? Thing is, XS650 parts can be swapped around like LEGO and from your numbers the bike has had an engine transplant so what else has been changed?

Got it with clear title and is transferred to my name, so that is not a problem.
Look like the motor was probably only thing changed, except for the ugly wide seat!
Am pulling (already have) motor to put in a custom frame.
As with other bikes have owned figured numbers should have matched, was just kinda caught off-guard when saw different.

Attachments

• IMG_0716 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0716 - Copy.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_0890 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0890 - Copy.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 299
Got it with clear title and is transferred to my name, so that is not a problem.
Look like the motor was probably only thing changed, except for the ugly wide seat!
Am pulling (already have) motor to put in a custom frame.
As with other bikes have owned figured numbers should have matched, was just kinda caught off-guard when saw different.

Hi BlokHed,
tell me you didn't trash that nice titled bike and that all it needs is an engine transplant to make it whole again?
And my fat arse would really appreciate that ugly wide seat.
And before you put a bunch of money and man-hours into that rigid frame be sure it has a title, eh?

Back